[SOLVED] If I Interrupt A Cloning Process To Start Over...(SOLVED)

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
I've been sitting and trying to clone a Windows 10 HDD to a clean brand new SSD with an external docking station for nearly an hour now with no results. If I were to stop the process and start again from the beginning, would it ruin things in general? The HDD is a 500 GB laptop drive going to an equivalent size SSD. I may have not done something correctly? The station is an Inland brand from Micro Center and it said to press the clone button for 3 seconds to begin the process; maybe I didn't hold it down long enough? It's been a minute since I tried cloning a HDD, so maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Solution
I'm laughing at myself because I had the solution right under my nose all along! The target SSD was slightly smaller than the source SSD, and I proved it by trying to use another 500 GB SSD I had lying around. It's cloning properly as we speak. I feel like a right idjit, here, and thanks for your input and effort!
And I put that fail down to the software built into that enclosure.

Other software such as the aforementioned Macrium Reflect, will absolutely clone into a smaller drive. As long as the size of the data is relevant.

For instance...
500GB source
250GB target

As long as the actual data is below 200GB, it can be cloned easily.

But anyway, glad you got it working.

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
Unknown if it would mess anything up, but doubtful.

However, try some other clone tool, and not the built in thing.

Macrium Reflect, for instance.

What are you trying to clone, and why?
With shat specific drives?

I'm simply trying to clone the Windows 10 HDD that came with a refurbished laptop I bought to an clean & empty SSD. Nothing fancy. I have the right drives in the right slots of the docking station and...it's just sitting there blinking at me. It can't possibly take that long to clone a HDD to SSD, now, can it?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm simply trying to clone the Windows 10 HDD that came with a refurbished laptop I bought to an clean & empty SSD. Nothing fancy. I have the right drives in the right slots of the docking station and...it's just sitting there blinking at me. It can't possibly take that long to clone a HDD to SSD, now, can it?
No, it should not take that long.

What specific SSD?

MaskedRiderChris52

Prominent
Jul 9, 2021
No, it should not take that long.

What specific SSD?

I'm laughing at myself because I had the solution right under my nose all along! The target SSD was slightly smaller than the source SSD, and I proved it by trying to use another 500 GB SSD I had lying around. It's cloning properly as we speak. I feel like a right idjit, here, and thanks for your input and effort!

USAFRet

Titan
And I put that fail down to the software built into that enclosure.

Other software such as the aforementioned Macrium Reflect, will absolutely clone into a smaller drive. As long as the size of the data is relevant.

For instance...
500GB source
250GB target

As long as the actual data is below 200GB, it can be cloned easily.

But anyway, glad you got it working.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS