Discussion If I just wrote something stupid - a softer approach being able to undo bad wording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening fellow forum users.

Yesterday I deleted one of my own post because I arrested myself in being answering to a post where OP misunderstood my intentions and in my mind gave a rude answer back. So, the correct action is of course to just dismiss the whole thing and click "unwatch". However, as the human I am, I answered back and only a while after I posted it, I realized my post was just pure stupid and not helpful in any way. So I deleted it.

However, If I'd let it stay then I've a hunch I'd running the risk of being banned.

So it get me to think. Would it be a good idea to implement a sub version of the "report post", into something like "please remove or rephrase or be banned" - in case like this, the intention was good, but kept falling in the "human behavior trap" (like answering back on rude comments) ?

Example:
  • OP ask a question,, maybe proposing a bad idea.
  • I answer and maybe propose s different approach.
  • OP get angry for me not picking up details between lines, may get rude.
  • I being stupid, respond to OP being rude, maybe some harsh comment (but in my mind all deserved) - not being helpful.
  • Someone (probably rightfully so) hit the "report" button at my post, and I get banned.
If the alternative function was implemented, instead of being instantly banned - how about a warning in PM/mail, give the poster a chance to rectify, either by deleting the post or rephrasing so it doesn't perceived as rude and unhelpfully.

What is your thoughts on this ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Good evening fellow forum users.

Yesterday I deleted one of my own post because I arrested myself in being answering to a post where OP misunderstood my intentions and in my mind gave a rude answer back. So, the correct action is of course to just dismiss the whole thing and click "unwatch". However, as the human I am, I answered back and only a while after I posted it, I realized my post was just pure stupid and not helpful in any way. So I deleted it.

However, If I'd let it stay then I've a hunch I'd running the risk of being banned.

So it get me to think. Would it be a good idea to implement a sub version of the "report post", into something like "please remove or rephrase or be banned" - in case like this, the intention was good, but kept falling in the "human behavior trap" (like answering back on rude comments) ?

Example:
  • OP ask a question,, maybe proposing a bad idea.
  • I answer and maybe propose s different approach.
  • OP get angry for me not picking up details between lines, may get rude.
  • I being stupid, respond to OP being rude, maybe some harsh comment (but in my mind all deserved) - not being helpful.
  • Someone (probably rightfully so) hit the "report" button at my post, and I get banned.
If the alternative function was implemented, instead of being instantly banned - how about a warning in PM/mail, give the poster a chance to rectify, either by deleting the post or rephrasing so it doesn't perceived as rude and unhelpfully.

What is your thoughts on this ?

Your alternative requires the offended person to be judge of how offensive your post is. Thats our job.

BTW in most cases you will not be banned for something like you described unless you use hate speech or something egregious. In fact if its very minor in most cases you will get an in thread "knock it off". Otherwise yes your post will be deleted and you will get a warning via PM. If you do it more often than once especially in a short period of time you will be banned for a brief period. This period increases until permanent depending upon frequency and egregiousness of your offenses.

I hope I've answered your question sufficiently, I will be closing this thread as our policies are not up for discussion, any additional issues feel free to PM me.

4745454b

Titan
For the record, you can edit your posts. If after hitting post reply you realize that you said something you shouldn't have, you can go back and edit out the offending stuff. That works of course unless someone has seen your dumb post. If someone sees it and hits report, then editing becomes moot because someone/we saw it.

As mentioned above you won't be banned for one post. It takes a super dumb post to have that happen. If you just posted "listen here you !#$#%@", you'll probably just get a warning. If you "always" post stuff like that that's a different story.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Status
Not open for further replies.