If I keep laptop always on charge with Lenovo Vantage conservative mode ON, will it extend battery life?

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I have Lenovo laptop and it comes with app called Lenovo Vantage, which has following setting:

Len-Vantage-Battery-Conservative-mode.png

With this mode ON, my laptop battery never gets charged above 60%. Earlier I had dell laptop with removable battery.
I read on laptop forum that it better to use laptop with battery removed with it always connected to power mains. Use battery
only when you need it, say while travelling or away from power mains. This increases battery life.
Lenovo laptop has non removable battery. So I was guessing if I can get same result with this mode on and always connecting to
power mains. It will never get charged above 60% and discharged at all. Essentially removing battery and using on power mains.

Is it right?

Lutfij

Titan
You should be fine with that setting enabled. Ideally I'd have suggested that you discharge the laptop to 10% before replugging the AC adapter to charge the laptop battery to full, with that setting disabled, ofc. Having a battery sit idle only hampers it's lifespan and overcharging it can also degrade the battery.

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
You should be fine with that setting enabled. Ideally I'd have suggested that you discharge the laptop to 10% before replugging the AC adapter to charge the laptop battery to full, with that setting disabled, ofc. Having a battery sit idle only hampers it's lifespan and overcharging it can also degrade the battery.

I was not asking whether I should keep that setting ON.
I was asking if I can keep it ON and always use my laptop plugged to AC mains most of the time. Since the setting is ON, connecting it to AC mains wont charge battery over 60% and simply will not overcharge. Similarly since plugged in to AC mains, it will also not discharge.

Occasionally, once a week, I may discharge and recharge the battery just to ensure it wont lay idle. But not every day which would be the case if I unplug it from AC mains as I use laptop for a several hours a day. Will this extend battery life?