If I like to format my drive every 3 months, is getting an ssd a bad idea?

Holmnix

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
BACKGROUND:
I know that when you erase data on an ssd, it shortens its lifespan. My cheap Kingston ssd just died today; only lasting 2 years. It had my windows OS on it and its performance was going downhill slowly over time, not that I ever noticed, but through tests I knew. The main reason I bought an SSD was for the quick boot, while I have an HDD for everything else.

QUESTION:
So my question is, if I were to buy another storage option, would you say I should go for an ssd, hdd, or sshd if I am someone who erases data frequently.I have heard conflicting reports about all three of these options in terms of longevity. Thanks!

RealBeast

Titan
You should stay with an SSD for your OS in my opinion and keep the HDD for your games, since they don't really benefit from an SSD.

While it isn't necessary to reformat and reinstall your OS that often (the machine I'm on now has been on the same W7 install for 3 years with no issues, but I used to reinstall XP annually), you will not wear out a modern SSD by doing so. They have tremendous write capacities now, like a full drive write per day for years, something you will never hit.

cah8429

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I don't think it matters if you get an SSD that is good quality like a Samsung or Intel. They're rated for an insane amount of writes and will probably die from a failed controller before the memory chips wear out from too many writes. With how much better SSDs have gotten lately, you will probably go through computers more than drives with their rated MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). With any drive though, be sure to always do regular back ups no matter what. Here is a source on SSD longevity

Not sure what makes you need to reformat every 3 months, but I'm not entirely sure how much of a big deal that is because a friend and I test Linux distros and we will reformat every 3-12 months to try a different distro. I think my Samsung 840 Pro is 3 years old and he has some Intel(?) that's 4 years old and sometimes he will reformat multiple times in a span of days because he will be running builds straight off of Github nightlys for certain distros. I personally recommend Samsung

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead