If I make a system image, them my boot times increase ???

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Odd one here. If I use w7 to create a system image on any of my storage drives, my startup time is increased drastically! Talking like 30-50 second increase! The delay happens when the w7 spinny graphical thingus is loading. Then it just hangs there for a long time.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

The only fix that seems to work is to format my storage drives totally and re-load them if I want to use w7 to make an image.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Yes, 19 seconds prior, 47 seconds after I image the drive. Then unless I format the storage drives, the boot time remains slow until I image again. I guess a simple solution would be to not use the windows image tool, but I would like to get to the bottom of why this is happening. Also to note, it does not matter if I delete the image or note after the fact, boot times will suck unless I reformat the storage drives. To note, I also tried both MBR and GPT settings on the drives. Made no difference. I image the OS and then loads suck.

Pyree,
Yes I do use an SSD, Corsair Force GT. Other troubleshooting info, this never happened with my old drives which were WD greens. This all poped up when I did a fresh install on the OS while using 2tb samsug 204's. If I unplug both of the backup hard drives, she really screams loading wise, cuts the time down to 15 seconds.

Do u have any USB devices plugged in during the boot? Or virus scan on the start up? Could be also what Pyree wrote.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Notta, nothing plugged in and no virus protection. This issue starts the instant I create a system image. From that moment on boots are painfully slow. If I do not do an image, they remain blistering fast. If I make an image, they slow way, way down. Then I have to wipe the storage drives clean, reload them and all is well again.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Tried re-naming the drive, tried deleting the image, tried moving the image... did nothing. Very peculiar issue that I have found. I found another member via the google machine that had the same thing happen to him and he noted that a format of the drive was the only cure as well. The only thing that speeds it back up is to delete and format the drive.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Good info, I also have 2 laptops with w7 and a work desktop. However on those I backup to a USB drive, not internal drives. I found it interesting that the other person that had this same problem was also using samsung HD204UI drives and I did not have this problem previously using WD drives. Really sort of points the finger but still want to get to the bottom of why it is happening.

I have not transistioned to the F4, still buying the samsung F3 (currently in my I5-2500k). Also have the WD black 1 TB Sata III in my backup I5-750.
On the desktops I put the Image on the internal HDD and then copy to USB HDD. laptops, I put on a USB3 HDD.

I do not buy the "green" models, WD only buy the blacks.
Just a thought, Indexing - try turning it off and back on to see if any difference.

danno8

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Yay! Finally someone who has the same problem as I do. Back in August I bought a 2TB WD Green drive as a backup drive for my system and when I save a windows system image to it my boot times go from 25 seconds to over 50 seconds. File backup does nothing, just if I include the system image. And as you said deleting the backup does not fix it. I have to completely reformat the 2TB backup drive to get my boot times back to normal. If I unplug the 2TB drive it will also fox the problem.

So the question is what the heck is windows doing during the boot. fltmgr.sys is the driver that is taking so long during boot time (nearly 23 seconds as opposed to only a couple seconds without the backup present!)

I can see that there is no solution found for this yet. I asked WD for help and after several emails they pointed to the windows backup as the probable issue. No doubt Microsoft would point to the drive as the problem if I was able to ask them.

You are not alone.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Right on, I have found several others that have the same issue and we all have different hard drives, but all 2tb. I would say this is with Windows in relation to large drives as we all have different brand drives.

My workaround is that when I do a system image....
1- turn off the machine
2 - unplug my 2tb drives (sata unplug)
3 - use a USB drive for the image
4 - turn off the machine and plug back in sata drives
5 - copy the image file back to my sata drives.

Glad I do not have to do a full image often!

danno8

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Interesting that copying an image from a different drive to the 2tb drives doesn't lead to a delay. I would try this but I would need a new USB drive. A big one too as a total system image is around 500GB on my machine.

Agree with you that windows is clearly struggling with the large size of the 2TB drives combined with the system image. It shouldn't matter but clearly it does.

danno8

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Gonna necro this thread just to report that this problem no longer occurs with my setup and Windows 8 (.1).

No hardware has changed since my original post.