[SOLVED] If i need to replace my motherboard which is easiest?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
If my motherboard is no good do to plugging in the wrong power interface into a argb hub. Instead of sata I plugged in the other that fits instead. Then after a day of working fine the pc shut off randomly. When trying to start it up I got nothing on screen but after 3 times it said starting in safe mode or press f1 to enter setup to reverse bios settings you changed to cause this. It freezes at that screen.

I'm guessing it's probably the motherboard that's no good.

If I have to change the motherboard is it easiest to replace with same one when I have hard tubes on liquid cooling or is the processor in the same spot? If it's 8n different spots on different motherboards should I jus get same motherboard to make it easier?

I ordered a new psu is it possible it's the psu? Or is it definitely the motherboard?

Dangit Dave

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
In order to avoid issues with your liquid cooling setup, you'd do best to replace the board with one just like it.
I have to ask though: Did you try going straight into BIOS in order to see if you could undo the changes that the BIOS is saying you made?
I had, (now used in my wife's general purpose desktop - an old gaming rig repurposed), an MSI X99A-SLI (MS-7A54) which had an improperly installed RAM module in one of it's banks (not fully seated), that damaged the board. In the short, it had boot issues until I removed the RAM module that was not properly seated. It then booted up and, I was able to use it in dual channel and even triple channel RAM configuration w/ out issues; (it's an Intel extreme chipset board - intended to be able to run extreme gaming i7 CPU's, with quad channel memory configurations.) It is presently being used in single channel mode as, the second channel in configuration is the one that was damaged. I did have it running in triple channel, before repurposing it, without any issues - though I do need to mention that the BIOS usually hangs after making changes. I hit the reset button and it boots with the changes, regardless.
The MSI is still a working board, despite the damage and, I'm wondering if the same might also be true for you - at least till you're ready to make the upgrade?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
In order to avoid issues with your liquid cooling setup, you'd do best to replace the board with one just like it.
I have to ask though: Did you try going straight into BIOS in order to see if you could undo the changes that the BIOS is saying you made?
I had, (now used in my wife's general purpose desktop - an old gaming rig repurposed), an MSI X99A-SLI (MS-7A54) which had an improperly installed RAM module in one of it's banks (not fully seated), that damaged the board. In the short, it had boot issues until I removed the RAM module that was not properly seated. It then booted up and, I was able to use it in dual channel and even triple channel RAM configuration w/ out issues; (it's an Intel extreme chipset board - intended to be able to run extreme gaming i7 CPU's, with quad channel memory configurations.) It is presently being used in single channel mode as, the second channel in configuration is the one that was damaged. I did have it running in triple channel, before repurposing it, without any issues - though I do need to mention that the BIOS usually hangs after making changes. I hit the reset button and it boots with the changes, regardless.
The MSI is still a working board, despite the damage and, I'm wondering if the same might also be true for you - at least till you're ready to make the upgrade?
Well the pc has been running fine I haven't touched the ram in a long time. The pc just randomly shut off and started having this issue. It's definitely related to that argb power mistake. I just don't know if the motherboard is fried or psu is no good but everything I NG seems to power up fine it seems more like a motherboard issue to me.

Dangit Dave

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Well the pc has been running fine I haven't touched the ram in a long time. The pc just randomly shut off and started having this issue. It's definitely related to that argb power mistake. I just don't know if the motherboard is fried or psu is no good but everything I NG seems to power up fine it seems more like a motherboard issue to me.
I wasn't suggesting you had a memory error. I was just trying to see if you had actually tried to get into BIOS before it would hang, (which could happen with a misconfigured BIOS when it is passing off to Windows OS. ) With some more advanced BIOS systems a repeated system hang in the hand-off process from BIOS to Windows would result in an automatic reversion to the default BIOS settings or a boot prompt to check BIOS settings, as my MSI MB does. Regardless, my thought is that you try to get into BIOS as soon as the boot up will let you and try to reset to default settings; take it from there. If you can't do that, try the CMOS reset or, remove the button cell battery for 30 seconds or so and try again to boot the system. If the hang persists, it would seem safe to assume the mother board is bad.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I wasn't suggesting you had a memory error. I was just trying to see if you had actually tried to get into BIOS before it would hang, (which could happen with a misconfigured BIOS when it is passing off to Windows OS. ) With some more advanced BIOS systems a repeated system hang in the hand-off process from BIOS to Windows would result in an automatic reversion to the default BIOS settings or a boot prompt to check BIOS settings, as my MSI MB does. Regardless, my thought is that you try to get into BIOS as soon as the boot up will let you and try to reset to default settings; take it from there. If you can't do that, try the CMOS reset or, remove the button cell battery for 30 seconds or so and try again to boot the system. If the hang persists, it would seem safe to assume the mother board is bad.
I did already pull battery and get same problem. I think it's the motherboard I tried everything I can think of...my damn motherboard is so expensive too and I need to replace with same one or I'll have to redo the cooling tubing.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Ok...I got Great News! After searching like crazy through every business listing I literally only found 1 person. He never did hard tubing before but he is very smart with everything else. He got the bios to start and found out the issue it was having. Basically the pc was saying it could not detect the cpu fan but I do not have a cpu fan I have liquid cooling. I do believe my d5 liquid pump is plugged into the cpu_fan port. What could of caused my pc to all of a sudden shut off and freeze up looking for it? I have no clue what could cause that. I made it ignore the cpu fan in the bios.

Anybody have any ideas?