If I order these parts will it boot?

zskninoh1

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
TLDR; PC won’t boot presumably due to me [watch your language]with msconfig. Running windows 7, with an old Intel Core 2 and a GTX 660. The theory is all I need to do is order a new case, PSU, CPU and HDD. I will be able to reuse my monitors/keyboard etc. the thing is I need at least four USB slots on the back to plug all my peripherals in then two on the front for mouse and headset. My old PC ran the games I needed it to fine don’t plan on upgrading anytime soon as I’m leaving to the Navy in July 12. I just need a cheap temporary fIx that’ll run the games my old one could. My price range is pretty limited, but so mocked up this on PCPartPicker and it seems to suite my needs but I’m no professional. Am I right? Can I just order a new case, psi, cpu, hdd and reuse my 660? Any tips on reducing the price a bit more?

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Do you know the specs you plan on buying? And secondly, do you have your memory from either the old build or are you ordering new ones?

P.S. Try to keep the swares out. I know how frustrating it is, but still...

zskninoh1

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

Sorry bout the profanity. The only specs I have are

Intel Core 2 quad 2.66GHz
1 TB HDD
6 GB RAM - the RAM I believe is 240 pins
GTX 660

I’d like to reuse the memory if possible but if not I can source some for free at my workplace

I don’t know much about computer hardware but I don’t think it’d me that hard putting it together with the help of YouTube. I just need to know if I’m doing the right thing, I don’t want spend x amount of money and it all go to waste because I ordered the wrong parts or I ordered the wrong ones

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Wait, you plan on buying a core 2? That has a very weak performance...are you sure that’s what you want to buy? If you want to check compatibility, try forming a list for yourself on pc part picker. The program lists components from several websites and checks for compatibility (but you could always post the full list you have here to be sure). It may be helpful for unsure builders.

zskninoh1

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
That’s my current specs, my bad on mobile because no PC. Must have not pasted the PC parts picker link. Yea won’t let me paste links. It was a Ryzen 5, with a cheapo case and mobo, a decent PSU. RAM I can get for free, and a 1tb HDD

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
No worries. If you want to manually list all of your specs, it’s ok, but I find it faster and easier to do the following. I have provided some screenshots in case.First find the logo shown on the first image. The reddit one or the pcpartpicker one do the same thing. Then hold your finger on the text shown and when the pop up shows, select “select all”. Then “copy” or “cut”. You may need to scroll up or down outside of the text box to see the pop up. Then paste it in a post here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wtkgs

zskninoh1

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($106.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($60.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $457.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-31 12:42 EST-0500

Asked a friend to use his laptop for a quick second in class. The plan is if I order these I can use my existing graphics card and just install Windows 7 with a USB. I've was told it's better to have an AMD CPU running with a Radeon GPU vise versa, with Intel and Nvidia, but I've also been told it doesn't matter. But back to the title, would just using these parts with my existing GTX 660, and peripherals work? I've been told to be picky and choosy about which PSU to get, but most of them are 100+ which just doesn't fit in my budget of 450. I don't want anything over the top as I'm shipping out to basic training July 12th. Thank you guys for your patience and help it is very much appreciated.

Solution

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Looks all good. As for the gpu thing you talked about, no, there is no “pairing” of sorts. Although they do have different video synchronization technologies (amd’s freesync vs NVidia’s Gsync). But a 660 may slightly bottleneck the cpu when gaming (not cpu bottlenecking gpu), but nothing severe.