[SOLVED] If I replace my motherboard, will my problems be solved?

Sep 27, 2021
My current system is on its last legs, but I believe a mobo swap will solve my issues. I upgraded to a 3070 (EVGS XC3 Ultra) earlier this year. I replaced a 2070 of the same model. When I booted my PC for the first time after the swap, the ethernet port on my mobo did not work. I tried ALL of the drivers troubleshooting, and ended up buying a usbC adapter for ethernet. This worked fine for a few weeks, then the usb C port stopped working. Since then, I have been using a usb 3.0 adapter and I haven't had any issues with ethernet connection since then. In the past few days I have noticed a USB port which my wireless mouse dongle was in has been freezing on me, but the firmware is up to date. Could anyone help me with this issue?

Solution
I still recommend taking a close look at your 5V supply, might be a little off. I use the same PSU and it is a known good unit, doesn't mean there isn't something wrong.

Complete disassembly might be worth the time, could just have a loose wire somewhere causing intermittent spikes and sags on the line which is slowly burning out ports. Check all your devices as well for bent pins, check all the ports as well.

Could be you static shocking the system, consider a grounding floor mat or just being careful about grounding yourself before plugging things in or touching stuff. Make sure your outlet/powerstrip etc is properly grounded with a tester or multimeter. Ideally all your hardware plugged into the PC should be connected to a common...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I still recommend taking a close look at your 5V supply, might be a little off. I use the same PSU and it is a known good unit, doesn't mean there isn't something wrong.

Complete disassembly might be worth the time, could just have a loose wire somewhere causing intermittent spikes and sags on the line which is slowly burning out ports. Check all your devices as well for bent pins, check all the ports as well.

Could be you static shocking the system, consider a grounding floor mat or just being careful about grounding yourself before plugging things in or touching stuff. Make sure your outlet/powerstrip etc is properly grounded with a tester or multimeter. Ideally all your hardware plugged into the PC should be connected to a common circuit if possible.

There is the potential for ground loops if you moved or rearranged things. If there are any new appliances or devices in the house, try moving them to a different circuit. Particularly high power devices like subwoofers, refrigerators, and portable air conditioners.

As for the new GPU being responsible, highly doubtful. That is mostly 12V power and a little 3.3V from the PCIe slot which shouldn't have too much an effect on other devices. Any 12V converted down to operating voltages of the actual chips will have gone through regulation to get there, not likely to get anything past the chokes and capacitors there.

Solution
Sep 27, 2021

Could be you static shocking the system, consider a grounding floor mat or just being careful about grounding yourself before plugging things in or touching stuff. Make sure your outlet/powerstrip etc is properly grounded with a tester or multimeter. Ideally all your hardware plugged into the PC should be connected to a common circuit if possible.

There is the potential for ground loops if you moved or rearranged things. If there are any new appliances or devices in the house, try moving them to a different circuit. Particularly high power devices like subwoofers, refrigerators, and portable air conditioners.

As for the new GPU being responsible, highly doubtful. That is mostly 12V power and a little 3.3V from the PCIe slot which shouldn't have too much an effect on other devices. Any 12V converted down to operating voltages of the actual chips will have gone through regulation to get there, not likely to get anything past the chokes and capacitors there.
I suppose I shouldve stated in my original post. I have dissasembled the PSU, and everything checks out. Same with ports, and devices. I have also ensured no ground loops are present. I wanted to troubleshoot as much as I could before coming to forumns to avoid wasting people's time, but here we are

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As you say, could just be the motherboard on its way out, an internal short somewhere or a faulty component letting higher voltage leak through and burn stuff out. But seeing a low or high 5V reading would be quite telling.

Checking for dirty power is another thing, a noisy input might not get completely filtered by the power supply.

My current system is on its last legs, but I believe a mobo swap will solve my issues. I upgraded to a 3070 (EVGS XC3 Ultra) earlier this year. I replaced a 2070 of the same model. When I booted my PC for the first time after the swap, the ethernet port on my mobo did not work. I tried ALL of the drivers troubleshooting, and ended up buying a usbC adapter for ethernet. This worked fine for a few weeks, then the usb C port stopped working. Since then, I have been using a usb 3.0 adapter and I haven't had any issues with ethernet connection since then. In the past few days I have noticed a USB port which my wireless mouse dongle was in has been freezing on me, but the firmware is up to date. Could anyone help me with this issue?
What happens if you put the 2070 back in the pc does everything go back to working?