[SOLVED] If I replaced my motherboard can I keep the old boot drive?

epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017
If I replaced my motherboard but kept the same storage system and boot drive would I need to do anything? I can just keep my old windows right?
Do people usually get a clean installation of windows just for the sake of ”in with the new out with the old”?

Solution
If you replace the board with the same model, it would probably work without issue, but changing the motherboard means different chipsets and drivers. If you're using Windows 10, it might work, it might work, but you could be chasing issues for weeks, or it may not work at all.

If you're using an OS older that Windows 10, a reinstall is going to be required.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you replace the board with the same model, it would probably work without issue, but changing the motherboard means different chipsets and drivers. If you're using Windows 10, it might work, it might work, but you could be chasing issues for weeks, or it may not work at all.

If you're using an OS older that Windows 10, a reinstall is going to be required.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: epicevan
Solution

epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017

-Wolf sends
oh I realize I'm stupid for some reason I thought people would have to buy windows again every time but I can just use my old windows key on a new installation right?

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
I've transferred my Windows installed SSD from ASUS M5A97 + Phenom II X6 to MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 5 2600. I had zero problems, if that helps. I'm still using the same Windows, never done a clean install after swapping. (Windows 10)

USAFRet

Titan
I've transferred my Windows installed SSD from ASUS M5A97 + Phenom II X6 to MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 5 2600. I had zero problems, if that helps. I'm still using the same Windows, never done a clean install after swapping. (Windows 10)
Yes, that happens. Sometimes.

There are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

You found the rare #1.