[SOLVED] If I restart, boot takes 20-30 min, shutting down leads to normal boot

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
This has been going on now for a long time, I can't remember when it started or what might have brought it about, but when I restart my computer, Windows will hang on that part of the boot where you just see a big blue Widnows icon against a solid black background and the little spheres moving in a circle loading animation underneath it. It will hang there for like 20-30 minutes.

There's no red light on the case that normally indicates the HDD is working, but I can hear the HDD scraping.

When I shut the computer down, on the other hand, boot is normal.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Solution
what are specs of the PC?

what brand HDD is it?

Restarts are the only time your computer is actually off. I can bet you have fast startup enabled.

it could be a drive problem or just a device that isn't answering windows right away at boot time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

what brand HDD is it?

Restarts are the only time your computer is actually off. I can bet you have fast startup enabled.

it could be a drive problem or just a device that isn't answering windows right away at boot time.

Solution
This has been going on now for a long time, I can't remember when it started or what might have brought it about, but when I restart my computer, Windows will hang on that part of the boot where you just see a big blue Widnows icon against a solid black background and the little spheres moving in a circle loading animation underneath it. It will hang there for like 20-30 minutes.

There's no red light on the case that normally indicates the HDD is working, but I can hear the HDD scraping.

When I shut the computer down, on the other hand, boot is normal.

Any idea what might be causing this?
Just to take a peek.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screenshot for all disk.