[SOLVED] If I set a 144hz monitor to 60hz, will it look any different than a native 60hz monitor?

Daniel_222

Reputable
May 3, 2016
Okay, it's might be a silly question, but I'm just curious. I want to buy a 1440p monitor, but 90% of them comes with 144hz or higher. I'm used to 60 and it's enough for me.
So if I change it to 60hz, it's not going to look bad or anything right?

Solution
You should just run a 144hz monitor at 144hz. If it has G-Sync or Free Sync technology it can also prevent screen tearing.

To answer your question however, no it'll run just like a 60hz monitor. But if you're aiming for 60hz you might as well get 4K instead.
You should just run a 144hz monitor at 144hz. If it has G-Sync or Free Sync technology it can also prevent screen tearing.

To answer your question however, no it'll run just like a 60hz monitor. But if you're aiming for 60hz you might as well get 4K instead.

Solution

Daniel_222

Reputable
May 3, 2016

Thank you for your help.
I have a 4K display right now, but I cannot afford the best hardware at the moment. And 1440p on a native 4K is not the best.
Also I don't want to go higher than 60. Once you go higher you never go back. :)

Thank you for your help.
I have a 4K display right now, but I cannot afford the best hardware at the moment. And 1440p on a native 4K is not the best.
Also I don't want to go higher than 60. Once you go higher you never go back. :)
Happy to help. Running 60 FPS at 60hz isn't a bad place to be at for most people. If you're looking for a meaningful upgrade - getting a 1440p monitor might be your best bet, use the 1440p for gaming and the 4K for a secondary screen.
Don't forget to select a best answer to close the thread.