[SOLVED] If I turn off the psu on the back the pc will restart after startup

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
hello I stumbled upon this weird thing; if i pull out the power cord or simply turn the psu off by button then the pc does startup and when it gets to bios it reboots and then loads properly. If i power down the pc normally and dont remove power theres no problem pc boots just fine everything normal. Psu is be quiet 600w and mobo is asus tuf 450

Solution
hello I stumbled upon this weird thing; if i pull out the power cord or simply turn the psu off by button then the pc does startup and when it gets to bios it reboots and then loads properly. If i power down the pc normally and dont remove power theres no problem pc boots just fine everything normal. Psu is be quiet 600w and mobo is asus tuf 450

Yeah. That's normal.

A PC's PSU always provides +5V to the board even when the PC is "off". This supplies power to the BIOS and to the RAM.

When you unplug or switch off your PSU at the back and you discontinue that +5VSB rail.

When you power back up, the BIOS has to "relearn" the XMP profile.

RealBeast

Titan
You should do a normal shutdown to avoid corruption of data. There are bios setting for what the computer should do when recovering from a power failure (that would include you unplugging or turning off the PSU, which is not a good practice).

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
excuse my bad explanation. I have never downed the pc by the switch or unplugging cable. I meant as in when I had worked on the pc and therefore turned it off, normally. but whenever i power it again the first time after it has been unplugged the pc shuts down just as its about to boot then it reboots up again fine

Yeah. That's normal.

A PC's PSU always provides +5V to the board even when the PC is "off". This supplies power to the BIOS and to the RAM.

When you unplug or switch off your PSU at the back and you discontinue that +5VSB rail.

Solution

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah. That's normal.

hey man. Wow is that right :D I could really not find anything on the internet about this at all. I find it particularly weird because I have recently build 3 computers but I have never used this PSU before, only seasonic and there was never this part to it. So is it a motherboard technology or the PSU unit itself? do you have any source since i think this is a grey area

hey man. Wow is that right :D I could really not find anything on the internet about this at all. I find it particularly weird because I have recently build 3 computers but I have never used this PSU before, only seasonic and there was never this part to it. So is it a motherboard technology or the PSU unit itself? do you have any source since i think this is a grey area

It's the motherboard. Not the PSU.

The newer the motherboard, the more likely it's going to do this.