[SOLVED] If I turn WiFi off on Modem is it actually off?

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,
I'm on a bit of a "WiFi is bad" kick at the minute especially with 5G (not looking for a debate on that particular issue just explaining my reasons) and so I've just been using Ethernet connections as much as possible. However I'm just wondering, when I turn off the WiFi on my modem by pressing the "WiFi" button, is it WiFi truly off, or just hidden or something?
I really want it to be off, not emitting.
Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
if you go into the router settings you usually have two options.
One is to turn it off (which turns off the antenna for it)
The other option is to just hide the SSID (where the name/connection doesn't show up for other devices, but can still be connected to by manually entering the SSID and password for it on a device)

Both options should be labeled as such for either turning it off, or not broadcasting the SSID

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The other option is to just hide the SSID (where the name/connection doesn't show up for other devices, but can still be connected to by manually entering the SSID and password for it on a device)

Both options should be labeled as such for either turning it off, or not broadcasting the SSID

Reactions: rdpc
Solution

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

Thanks for this! How do i go into router settings? I just have two buttons on the router/modem - WiFi and WPS.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Depends on which router you have.
Usually it's either one these IP addresses:
or

But it could be different depending on the router brand and model you have.

Usually log in information is located on the sticker on your router that contains the factory default WiFi information.

Hard to say what buttons do on a router. My guess would be they actually turn off the radio if it says it disabled the wifi. This is a read the manual for your router question.

Almost all routers have setting that disable the radios in the wifi settings. I would assume they actually turn off the chips but you never really know. You would need some kind of spectrum analyzer to see if anything was actually being emitted. Still I do know the one I was messing with the radio chips are pretty hot when they are on and if you disable them they are not...at least on the router I was testing on.

Ferimer

Distinguished

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
DO you just want to turn off the 5ghz? or you want the wifi completely off?

Turn off the 5Ghz yes. I want the 2.4 WiFi to be available when I need it, but to have the option to turn it on and off, and when it's "off" to be really off, not just hidden. But I want the 5ghz off permanently.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Turn off the 5Ghz yes. I want the 2.4 WiFi to be available when I need it, but to have the option to turn it on and off, and when it's "off" to be really off, not just hidden. But I want the 5ghz off permanently.
Ah i think i understand what is going on lol okay umm 5ghz is not 5G by the way, if you are thinking that 5G cellular is the same as 5ghz wifi, then i can see your concern lol. However, i think you can just turn the slider to the off position within the router and you wont be able to access the 5ghz. 5ghz is also used in a smaller radius than 2.4ghz, 5ghz is usually used by things like cell phones wifi and tablets wifi but most don't use it.

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Ah i think i understand what is going on lol okay umm 5ghz is not 5G by the way, if you are thinking that 5G cellular is the same as 5ghz wifi, then i can see your concern lol. However, i think you can just turn the slider to the off position within the router and you wont be able to access the 5ghz. 5ghz is also used in a smaller radius than 2.4ghz, 5ghz is usually used by things like cell phones wifi and tablets wifi but most don't use it.

Ahhh ok my mistake yeah I was actually thinking whilst asking this question "Is 5 Ghz and 5G the same thing?". Obviously not lol. I'll keep it off anyway but thanks for pointing that out.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Ahhh ok my mistake yeah I was actually thinking whilst asking this question "Is 5 Ghz and 5G the same thing?". Obviously not lol. I'll keep it off anyway but thanks for pointing that out.
HEy no problem. there are known risks with everything. I can see the concern as there are some regions and countries that are concerned about the long terms affects of 5G cellular networking. Furthermore Wifi itself can be hazardous to health. IIRC there was a woman in Japan or China, that proved Wifi signals were causing her to have an allergic reaction and cause breakouts. She ended up winning her case. So don't feel at all weird that you have concerns. you do whatever you feel is safe for you.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes, as Ferimer says, cellular 5G operates anywhere from 24.25 GHz to 52.6 GHz frequency.
The moniker "5G" along with it's predecessors "4G/LTE, 3G, 2G, 1G, and EDGE" are all just marketing terms to help the end user understand in the the simplest of ways that the higher number just means better speeds.

The "G" in "5G" on WiFi routers is just shortened from "GHz" which is the frequency at which the WiFi chip operates, this also means that it is capable of faster speeds over wireless, but at a shorter range (meaning you can't go as far away from the source as you can with 2.4GHz, and it travels less easily through solid objects like walls)

These connections that we give names to are just radios operating at certain radio frequencies and sending out radio signals (just like your local radio stations and satellites) but as also stated, depending on the circumstances and the scenarios, certain radio frequencies (not all) can have negative effects on certain people in certain ways.

But yeah, not the same thing as 5G cellular.

And to finalize things: clicking that virtual switch button next to the WiFi option as shown in the picture is turning it off not just hiding the name. So you are good there. Just flip those virtual switches to turn either WiFi frequency on and off on your router whenever you please to your hearts content.
To clarify, the little check mark box on the bottom picture that says "hide broadcast" is the option that just stops broadcasting the WiFi name for other devices to see it, but where it is still turned on and active.

I hope you have the information you need now and that your problems have been solved in regards to this WiFi question.

If you ever need information in regards to other tech issues please feel free to ask in the forums by creating a new thread under the proper category :)
(we also have some categories for non tech related things if interested in using those parts of the forum as well)

As for me, I use wireless earbuds that use bluetooth in my ears like 18 hours a day, and bluetooth operates at 2.4GHz frequency, and I have that in my earhole right next to my brain XD and if it ends up killing me then so be it lol, I need that wireless in my life.
(cue the introduction/revival/return of the "bluetooth causes brain cancer" scare from back in the day)