[SOLVED] If I upgraded my motherboard and CPU can I still keep all of the files on my boot drive?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

Just wondering if I was to upgrade my PC with a new motherboard and CPU down the line can I still keep all the files and programs that are on my 1TB Seagate boot drive or do I have to wipe it clean and start it from scratch? In other words would I have to re-install Windows 10 and all my old programs after fitting my old boot drive onto the new motherboard?

Kind regards,

Brendan

Solution
The short answer is yes you can keep your files, however it is STRONGLY recommended to reinstall everything due to all the drivers that are installed and could cause compatibility issues if you don’t. I would do a try and see approach if you really want to do that. Many people have unusually slow pc, low FPS, crashes or other issues if you do not reinstall everything. Maybe you have no problem though.
The short answer is yes you can keep your files, however it is STRONGLY recommended to reinstall everything due to all the drivers that are installed and could cause compatibility issues if you don’t. I would do a try and see approach if you really want to do that. Many people have unusually slow pc, low FPS, crashes or other issues if you do not reinstall everything. Maybe you have no problem though.

Solution