If i use dsr to raise refresh rate, will it affect refresh rate?

justinjackman

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
So im debating getting a 1440p 144hz monitor or a 1080p 240hz monitor.
But i recently discovered dsr and how it lets you bump up your resolution to a higher one, but will this affect refresh rate?
My plan would be to get the 240hz and bump it up to 1440p and/or 4k, would i keep that 240hz refresh rate?

Solution
You are not really understanding how those technologies work. DSR does not bump your resolution to a higher one, it renders the screen at the higher resolution then scales it down to the resolution your monitor runs at, acts as a way to improve quality but at a pretty big cost to performance, like a good quality anti-aliasing at the cost of higher stress on the system. The Refresh rate will stay the same.

If you don't have a higher refresh rate monitor it won't hurt you to get one, then you can play around with it and see what settings you like that work with your system.
You are not really understanding how those technologies work. DSR does not bump your resolution to a higher one, it renders the screen at the higher resolution then scales it down to the resolution your monitor runs at, acts as a way to improve quality but at a pretty big cost to performance, like a good quality anti-aliasing at the cost of higher stress on the system. The Refresh rate will stay the same.

If you don't have a higher refresh rate monitor it won't hurt you to get one, then you can play around with it and see what settings you like that work with your system.

Solution