If I want Windows 10 in foreign language, is it true that I have to set that language as default when I first turn on machine?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, a sales at Microsoft store told me that if I buy the laptop in North America but want to install Japanese OS so that I can type and read in Japanese as well as use Japanese version of software, I should make that selection the first time I turn on the machine. If I do it later on, there will be issues. Is that really true?

Well, you can change the language and region settings, but most of the interface remains in English. For the full interface in another language you pretty much have to install as that language. I'm not sure I've ever seen the option to change the language of the UI in Windows. So, the Microsoft person might be right.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. Will there be a problem if I set Japanese language as the primary language but the keyboard is still English? I don't know about Windows but on the Mac, some key placements are different.

Alternatively, should I set everything as English now. Then, try to replace the English keyboard with a Japanese one. Then, set Japanese as the primary language?

I used Windows when I was in Japan over 10 years ago. I have Japanese version of some software programs that I want to use on my new machine.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. I have not turned on the laptop yet. So, once it is on, I guess it will ask me to do some settings. At that time, install Japanese language pack and set it as primary/highest priority language. I don't know if Windows10 will ask me whether I am using English or Japanese keyboard. Will it? If being asked, just choose English before I buy a Japanese keyboard and use it to replace the original English keyboard. Am I right?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I made some mistakes in user names so I restored the entire system back to factory settings in order to create one Admin account and one user account. Surprisingly, when Windows was re-installed/set up, it seems that it installed the Japanese version of the OS. UI are also in Japanese. So that is even better!

I can get the English verion of Adobe Creative Cloud for free by entering my school's email address and password. Do you know if all UI will automatically be changed to Japanese even I install the English version? Is it better to download Adobe Creative Cloud from Adobe Japanese site? Not sure if my school's email address and password will work.