If i'm getting a new headset, will i have to delete the drivers for my current one before i use my new one?

cadennnnn

Honorable
Oct 21, 2017
Going to get a new headset, will i have to delete the drivers that this headset automatically installed before i use my new one? And if i do, how?

Solution

The WiFi (bluetooth is a form of WiFi) will have its own setup, and I'm not sure what you'll need for that. It won't be using the USB drivers for that case, but I'm reasonably certain that...
If its a USB headset and you are talking the auto install drivers that install when you connected it then you don't have to do anything. If you installed some drivers then you may want to remove those but likely its mostly just third party software. So what did you install before?

In worst case you'll just have to go into the control panel sound settings and mark that headset as the device to use (perhaps as the default device).

USB has some standardized classes, audio is one of them. You won't need extra drivers unless there is some special feature, e.g., it is 7.1 surround sound.

cadennnnn

Honorable
Oct 21, 2017

The headset i'm using at the moment is wireless, it has a little usb transmitter thing that i plugged into my pc and it was supposed to automatically install drivers. The one that i am going to buy does have 7.1 surround sound though.

The WiFi (bluetooth is a form of WiFi) will have its own setup, and I'm not sure what you'll need for that. It won't be using the USB drivers for that case, but I'm reasonably certain that bluetooth headsets would also require extra drivers for 7.1 surround sound.

On the other hand, I suspect you still do not need to remove old drivers. You should be able to have more than one sound device...the question is which one Windows of the software will pick to use. I have a headset (7.1 surround sound), two monitors, and the built in analog 7.1 surround sound of the motherboard. I went into the control panel and marked anything I won't use (the non-center monitor and analog from the motherboard) as disabled (the software is still there, I can enable at any time). Then I picked my headset as default device, and if I unplug it Windows reverts to using the center monitor.

Solution