If 'Mars Odyssey' Is Any Indication, The Future Of Education With VR Is Incredibly Compelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

samopa

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015
"This should be the way we teach kids about history. Students would likely be far more engaged in the material than they are by reading a textbook, and in turn, they’ll be more likely to retain the information. "

Totally agree with you. When the government read this and start using it ? At least in the Primary School.

grimfox

Distinguished
In certain regards I agree. However, I have to play devil's advocate again. You're looking at a very expensive VR lab, 40 seats @ 2k/seat = 80k USD. Sure learning from a book or seeing more or less the same thing on a tablet/laptop isn't as exciting but for 80k you could probably hire 2 additional teachers. Unless that VR lab is active everyday for the entire school year I feel like the teachers would be a better investment.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This is an example of what the FUTURE of education can (will) be.
Vive's won't be this expensive forever (its more like $1500/seat, btw). Prices will come down, accessibility will go up.

More teachers doesn't help make the content engaging for students. I would argue that a technology that encourages students to actually pay attention and take in the subject matter in a meaningful way is a better investment than hiring another teacher or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY