[SOLVED] If my monitor is able to do 1920x1080 @ 60hz, is there any risk overclocking it to 1280x1024 @ 75 hz?

Ninjoma

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
From my REALLY short research, 1280x1024 @ 75hz uses less bandwidth than 1920x1080 @ 60hz . With this in mind, overcloking my monitor should not be harmful right?

Solution
Wait, does this apply to modern LCD/LED monitors? I thought they drew at their native resolution no matter what, and simply interpolated if the incoming signal was for a lower resolution.

I do NOT know a lot about this, but I thought the whole lower-resolution-higher-refresh thing was a CRT only kind of thing, given that they have a completely different display mechanism and that the concept of "native" resolution doesn't apply to them, just the speed of the electron gun.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wait, does this apply to modern LCD/LED monitors? I thought they drew at their native resolution no matter what, and simply interpolated if the incoming signal was for a lower resolution.

I do NOT know a lot about this, but I thought the whole lower-resolution-higher-refresh thing was a CRT only kind of thing, given that they have a completely different display mechanism and that the concept of "native" resolution doesn't apply to them, just the speed of the electron gun.

Solution
^ I believe King is right. Didn't want to say it since I wasn't 100% sure, so I'm glad someone else mentioned it.
I can't stand looking at monitors in their non-native resolutions. Seems OP is trying to letterbox their monitor though, so technically the native pixels are still intact.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If my and @tennis2 's assumptions are correct, then, even at 1280x1024, the monitor is still actually displaying 1920x1080, it's just leaving a bunch of pixels blank.

If so, then overclocking it at the lower resolution is, in real world terms, still running it and thus overclocking it at it's native resolution of 1920x1080.

If my assumption is correct, then I wouldn't risk it.