If my monitor refresh rate is 60 hertz is my game fps 60?

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I just ask the question because I'm playing black ops 2 . The resolution and setting on my monitor is 60 hz

Now when I'm in the options in game I set sync every frame to on . Then the option for max frames per second it greys out and sits on unlimited . In game then my max fps is 60 .

If I go back to the settings and turn sync every frame to off . I can change max frames per second then . I changed it to120 . When I played the game I was getting from 110-120 fps but I was getting screen inconsistencies. Is this because by default my monitor is only 60 hz ?

To elaborate on my question . Is a refresh rate to a computer the same as what fps will be in game basically ? I'm confused ?

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Ok how that works is that your monitor is running @ 60hz and if you run games at 120fps you won't see the difference between 60fps to 120fps. With sync you will see less of those inconsistencies, because it plays a frame @ refresh rate of the screen. You won't see a difference in fps after 60fps if you monitor is 60hz. So basically they are different entities, but you need above 60fps to not see a difference.

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
ok heres how to elaborate that, playing with your monitors refresh rate sync on gives you a smooth flow of grapics, if your system can privide fps equal or higher than your monitos refresh rate, beyond that you will expirience screen tearing. so i sugest always turn v sync on if the system can manage to give fps equal or higher than the refresh rate of the monitor for smooth display.

KC McLaughlin

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
The maximum frame rate on your monitor is roughly half of the frequency, so a 60 Hertz screen will refresh at 30 frames per second. All the people who said you will get 60 frames per second on your monitor are wrong, your maximum is 30 frames per second; any higher than that and you won't see an improvement. It's worth noting that if you get higher frames per second than 30, you will see some improvement from downscaling.

http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/fpshz.php

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
30 fps is slow to humans naked eye... its laggy gaming on 30 fps... maybe its goog for those who hasnt gamed at 60 fps yet... actully human eye can no longer tell the difference 60 fps and above... v sync is must to have an even flow of game graphics

CMDMC12

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015

I registered an account on here just to call you out as a fucking idiot. A 60 Hz monitor most certainly can push out 60 FPS (but no more than that without causing a tearing effect).

NRThunderman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I know this is a bit late, but disabling vsync/running at a higher fps than your monitor supports will reduce input lag related to the video output. The only real reason to enable vsync is if you're experiencing unacceptable tearing, which can usually be significantly reduced with a newer graphics card. Hope I was able to help someone!
EDIT: as you're playing a shooter, I'd very much recommend disabling vsync.

exiled1

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I hope you realize that hertz is a measurement of frequency over time, thus 60 hertz refresh rate means the monitor will refresh 60 times each second, I have no idea where you got 30 from. don't act like you're smarter than everyone when you aren't ;)

cmd line

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
So I have a LG tv that has some technology called "TruMotion 120" in place of its refresh speed but the actual screen refresh rate is 60hz. What impact does TruMotion tecnology (claims to give the appearance of 120 fps) have on gameplay. Also, how does the games fps and truemotion work togeather if at all? Anyone know?

edit: After looking at the dates this dead horse has been necroed multiple times lol. Let it die if you want.

Richard1992

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

That guy is correct ! If you don't know , don't speak ! A 60hz monitor is delivering half of the refresh rate ! That's why 30fps looks so laggy , because when it shows 30 it's 15 not 30.

Richard1992

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Didn't you realized that 60 fps on youtube looks so smooth ? Something equal to 120hz monitors frame rates ? That's because on youtube it's true 60 fps and true 30 fps , that's why ! An 120hz monitor delivers 60 real fps ! Do some research about that , and you will be surprised !

NRThunderman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
For those of you who are saying that framerate is always 1/2 of the refresh rate, you may want to check your facts. While it is true that many TV manufacturers out there produce TVs with extremely high refresh rates (whose framerates are limited by basically every device that can be plugged into a TV (excepting PCs)) that do NOT have equally high framerates (http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate) the vast majority of computer monitors have 60 hertz refresh rates with 60 FPS capabilities. Some monitors are 30 hz with 30 FPS capabilities... some are 60, 120, 144, etc. This is provable in so many ways I don't even know where you all came up with the idea that all framerates are half the refresh rate.

Richard1992

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
I've already said a thing that can give you something to think about....Watch youtube in 60 fps , it's the same smoothness of a game running at 120hz 120fps ( fraps ). Same smoothness !!! A game running at 60 fps isn't give you the same feel of a 60fps video from youtube or filmed with an camera... Try to compare a game running at 60 fps , to a video at 60 fps, you will notice a huge difference in smoothness ! I heard this thing from a tehnician i know, he's knowing what he's saying.

NRThunderman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

"A game running at 60 fps isn't give you the same feel of a 60fps video from youtube or filmed with an camera..." You're right, but it's not for the same reason that you think.

When you're playing a game, you expect instant responsiveness. When you move the mouse, you expect to see that you're moving the mouse. There are three main variables to consider here: input response time, monitor response time, and framerate. If your input response time and monitor response time are sufficiently low, then you can look at framerate issues. Think about it this way: if you're blinking at a normal rate, you don't miss much movement in the world around you. In contrast, if you blink twice as often as normal, you'll miss twice as much of the world... and so on. If you're turning your head while blinking quickly, you'll get a weird effect where it will look like your head is jumping from place to place. Framerate works the same way. A higher framerate is like blinking slowly, so you see as much as possible from the game. A lower framerate is like blinking quickly, so when you try to move or change something in the game, it feels laggy.

A youtube video has zero input from you.

Watching a movie or video at a certain framerate will always look smoother than playing a game at the same framerate.

NewGuy569

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

Actually, I used the FPS limiter function of Bandicam on a PC with a monitor set to 60 Hertz. I could notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Setting the FPS limiter to 1 will provide 1 HZ, which gives 1 FPS. That guy I quoted was lying. What she may have meant is only true in the case of interlaced video output such as in TV and analog video, in which 60Hz interlaced provides 30fps at full resolution with the right field order, and forcing full 60 fps will require a decrease in resolution by half, and cause visible combing artifacts. I think most if not all PC monitors work with progressive video output, and not interlaced video output.

notmeanytime5

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017