[SOLVED] If my Windows 10 is installed in my SSD and I will copy a file from SSD to HDD which speed will apply?

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I have a WD green SSD 240gb with Windows 10 installed and I am very happy with the performance it's very fast even if my PC is a bit old already. But 240gb is not enough and my budget is only good for 1TB HDD for my storage so my question is if I have a file in my SSD and I will copy it to HDD will the speed be as fast as my SSD? and also if I install a program or games in HDD if I'm out of space in my SSD with the performance still be based with my SSD since my Windows 10 was installed in it? and last thing if I copy a file from the same HDD will the speed be based on the HDD only?
If the speed and performance will be based in HDD in all my questions I think I would go to 480Gb SSD then.

My PC Specs
i3 2100
Asrock H61m-vs3
8Gb ddr3 1333
240Gb WD Green
Inplay True Rated PSU 400watts

Solution
if you're limited by SATA II then the speed gap between the SSD and a late model HDD is much smaller. if you can make use of you PCI-e 2.0 slot, a SATA III controller can improve SSD throughput there
and also if I install a program or games in HDD if I'm out of space in my SSD with the performance still be based with my SSD since my Windows 10 was installed in it?
Games are not made to use a lot of disk speed and also your system is not that fast that it would make any difference.
The thing that makes gaming on mechanical disks bad is if the games or the system have to use the page file which would cause a pretty big lag to the game, with windows on the ssd you will not have any of these slow downs.

Also what do you expect to copy between the ssd and hdd?

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
files on the HDD will never be as fast as files on the SSD with a few exceptions, small files in RAM cache will transfer at full SATA rate, but bear in mind your WD Green SSD isn't especially fast so filling it up will reduce write speeds there too.
I think I should go for 480gb SSD if that's the case for more free space and still faster, anyway I am contented with the performance of my WD Green right now sir since my Mobo only supports SATA II but still the performance is way better than before when I was still using HDD

parapala23

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
if you're limited by SATA II then the speed gap between the SSD and a late model HDD is much smaller. if you can make use of you PCI-e 2.0 slot, a SATA III controller can improve SSD throughput there
ok sir I will try to find SATA III controller but right now I can feel the speed of SSD compared to 3.5HDD I used before.

one thing sir. If I use a PCI-e Sata controller and transfer my current SSD to it do I need to reinstall my OS? or it will read automatically?