if not two hard drives broken one after another, then what ?

warriorkite

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
After breakdown of windows xp by user mistake, windows 7 on a different internal hard drive also stopped working. Both drives are wd caviar, one mb 12 years old, theother maybe 8.

as i tried to reinstall windows 7 on the older, the system refused, saying the drive was about to die.

so i replaced the older one with a newer one and once again, neither xp nor 7 can be installed.

when i try to format the second one with dos version of paragon hdm, i get i/o error.

Theoretically, this can be a conincidence of two drives dying in a row, but how about some other reasons? what else could result in such disk malfunction. and what steps to take?

warriorkite

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
yes, mb stood for maybe and mobo would for motherboard. does it make any difference from the servicing point of view whether it is the whole mobo or just a controller? and could it be checked at home, which on is broken?

i am doing another test, on the third harddrive - a test of surface (all with paragon). if this test should be passed, does it exclude the failure of mobo and controller?

the motherboard is gigabyte ga-g31m-s2L, socket 775.

ozwiz

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Have you tested the drives on another computer? also there is a possibility that the data cable/cables went bad i would def. replace the cables as 1st order of business, also try a different data port on the motherboard