[SOLVED] If OLED gaming monitors aren't mainstream yet because of burn in...

Solution
8 hours a day? Who does that on their gaming setup? I game for like 2 hours at a time then hit the power button on my current monitor.

That link was pretty cool though.
But it shows the technology is not ideal for monitors making the potential market much smaller. I believe they are also more expensive to produce. I’d say these are key reasons OLED is not mainstream for monitors. However give the technology a few more years and thing might change.
If OLED gaming monitors aren't mainstream yet because of burn in...

...why do big screen living room OLED TVs not have this same problem?

They do. If you put a desktop background and taskbar on them for 8 hours a day like a desktop computer does, they will burn in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

After more than 5000 hours, there has been no appreciable change to the brightness or color gamut of these TVs. Long periods of static content have resulted in some permanent burn-in (see the CNN TVs), however the other TVs with more varied content don't yet have noticeable uniformity issues on normal content. As a result, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaggaz

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
8 hours a day? Who does that on their gaming setup? I game for like 2 hours at a time then hit the power button on my current monitor.

But it shows the technology is not ideal for monitors making the potential market much smaller. I believe they are also more expensive to produce. I’d say these are key reasons OLED is not mainstream for monitors. However give the technology a few more years and thing might change.

Reactions: yaggaz
Solution