Question if spd ext says xmp 2.0, does that mean the ram is running in xmp 2.0 ?

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
I saw some xmp ram with jedec timings that will run at cl 21 with a non xmp profile and cl 20 without an xmp profile. thought id might purchase it but if it says spd ext xmp 2.0 does that mean I can buy even faster ram since the ram I purchased says spd ext xmp 2.0

I saw some xmp ram with jedec timings that will run at cl 21 with a non xmp profile and cl 20 without an xmp profile. thought id might purchase it but if it says spd ext xmp 2.0 does that mean I can buy even faster ram since the ram I purchased says spd ext xmp 2.0
No, that's just a standard version number. Your BIOS would also have to have same version to take full advantage. Ram can have no XMP, just JEDEC. one or two XMP steps.

Jun 14, 2023
If the RAM you are evaluating includes an SPD Ext XMP 2.0 profile, enabling it can lead to higher speeds and tighter timings. However, it is essential to verify that your motherboard supports faster RAM frequencies to achieve the best performance.