[SOLVED] If the motherboard has 2 channels, does it support a 256 bit GPU and four RAM sticks?

sanderkoldenhof

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I'm currently looking for a new gaming system. I'm currently looking at the "GIGABYTE AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming" and the GTX 1070 (or something equivalent). The motherboard is duo channeled, which as far as I know that it supports 128 bits of data transfer, each lane being 64 bit.

Two questions:
1. The GTX 1070 is 256 bits. Does this have any correlation with the 128 bits motherboard or are these separate things?

2. I'm currently getting 16 GB of RAM via two modules, keeping future expansion in mind, may the time come. I've read that I have to buy the exact same RAM set if I would want to expand but this does not seem entirely true.

On my current motherboard (MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate) I started out with 8 GB of RAM, and I added an extra 16 GB from a different brand and with a different frequency and I had no issues, no warnings, no obvious performance loss or anything. I called Alternate (dutch tech retailer) for some extra explanation and they said that the only thing that would happen is that the lowest frequency of the two sets would be used. So what's the deal with these situations?

Current CPU I'm looking at is the AMD Ryzen 7 2700, but I will likely replace this with the Intel i7 8700k when the prices are hopefully back to normal around May 2019 or any CPU around the same price tag with better performance.

Solution
1) No, there is no relation.

2) You can make any combinations you want. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. There are no guarantees with other combinations you decide to make. This applies to identical, exact match, same thing also.
1) No, there is no relation.

2) You can make any combinations you want. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. There are no guarantees with other combinations you decide to make. This applies to identical, exact match, same thing also.

Solution