[SOLVED] If there is 1 HDD and 1 SSD installed in PC, is Windows 10 on both installed?

tzuzu100

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
There is this PC, it has both HDD and SSD with Win10 but it does not say on what: If there is 1 HDD and 1 SSD installed in PC, is Windows 10 on both installed?

Solution
There is this PC, it has both HDD and SSD with Win10 but it does not say on what: If there is 1 HDD and 1 SSD installed in PC, is Windows 10 on both installed?
Unless you personally make special pains to do that, no. (and that really isn't a good idea)
The Windows OS is on ONE and only one drive.

My system has 7 individual drives. Only One OS instance. The other drives are simply other drive letters.

USAFRet

Titan
Unless you personally make special pains to do that, no. (and that really isn't a good idea)
The Windows OS is on ONE and only one drive.

My system has 7 individual drives. Only One OS instance. The other drives are simply other drive letters.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
And why are there 2 storages in it? How can I use it, when Win 10 is on 1 only?
Having multiple physical drives is very common.

A typical configuration would be a smaller solid state drive for the Windows and applications, and a larger less expensive HDD for all that other stuff, where the speed of the SSD does not really matter.

Other drive(s) will simply have another drive letter.
My current config:
uUjT1x8.png

Each drive has its own use.
CAD/3D on one, photo work on another, games on something else.

Jul 6, 2020
As a General Rule, I only have one (1) drive connected when installing the Operating System. Once it is installed, then I'll connect the other drives. Past experience taught me that at times, some O/S setup routines like to "mark their territory" so to speak, and write to the secondary drives. Later, when you need to swap your storage, there's a problem!

The K.I.S.S. Rule is in full effect - only have ONE Drive connected when loading Windows!

USAFRet

Titan
I did not buy it yet, thats why I asked

Is it even ok having a HDD nowadays? I thought they are not efficient
All depends on your budget.
My drives above are all SSD. But, they were not all purchased and installed at the same time. A couple of them, the 2x 250GB 840 EVO drives, are near 6 years old. Other drives added as time and budget allowed.
For instance, the 1TB Intel 660p was on sale last year for $88. I didn't really need it, but a 1TB NVMe drive for $88 was too good to pass up.

Other people like one large drive for everything.
But, if you have large storage needs (3TB of movies and music, perhaps) and a slim budget...a 3+TB SSD is a hard pill to swallow.
But my wife's system gets by with a single 500GB SSD, with room to spare.
For me, that would absolutely not work.

SSD prices are continuously falling. It is now easily within the realm of possibility to have SSD only in a system. All depends on your budget.

Reactions: BKSpeck

USAFRet

Titan

TRENDING THREADS