if u oc to 4.5 ghz does it mean it will work only 1 year and then broke or how much can they survive

stefeman

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Ive had my Intel i7 2600k overclocked at 4.6 Ghz ever since January 2011.

After playing with 1.65 vcore values and 85 celcius heats, i've noticed only some overall wear which shows up as more vcore demand for your overclock.

Basically i need to add 0.0005 or 0.0010 volts more after 3 years to keep the same overclock without getting blue screens.

In other words: Multipler does not kill your CPU. Overvoltage and heath are the ones which damage it.

For the records, max recomended voltage for 24/7 opreated i7 2600k CPU would be preferable less than 1.4v while ive kept 1.45-1.49 volts mainly for 2 years now.

In short, yes it's dangerous if you screw up. In worst case you could literally fry your entire motherboard along with the CPU and RAM.

As long as you keep within the proper limits of voltages, and of course temperatures, it should last a good while.

As a general rule, for every 10C a semi-conductor is hotter/colder, you half/double its lifespan. That sounds scary, but CPUs are remarkably well-built works of art and feats of engineering. The fact that your standard chip will easily last through an upgrade cycle or two (or three... or four) is a testament to that.

Overclocking is scary business - a lot can go wrong. If you're safe, and take it slow, you shouldn't experience much, if any, issues. The lifespan will be shortened - but just using your company does that. Any reasonable overclock you do should last you into the next upgrade cycle, at least.

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

how many years you mean till next upgrade around 3 years ish ?

Yeah, actually, that's the rule of thumb - although plenty of people often wait 5-6 years before finally giving in.

Just some food for thought, there are a lot of people who keep their old rigs and use them for a type of small-scale home/office server, for a variety of uses. I know a guy who has a couple Pentium IV's around; he uses one for his hobby beer-brewing operation.

EDIT: Silly me, forgetting a time reference again; Pentium IVs were made up until 2008, if I recall correctly. I think they first came out in 2000, and I am not sure how old his were.