If You Can Solve My Network Issue You Are Houdini. Please Help.

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
have you tried a different ethernet cable? 20 - 30 feet from the modem obviously requires a longer than the normal 6 foot length. i had a similar issue for a number of weeks and it turned out to be a shoddy 50 foot cable causing it.

OOO just noticed something in what you said.

You said you had an arris DG3270 modem/router combo and a nighthawk netgear router attached to that modem.

Make sure you have DHCP turned off on the Nighthawk netgear router, put it in bridge or switch mode or something like that.

You never want 2 DHCP enabled routers on the same subnet or to be more precise for the same range of IP addresses.

I would check this first before you start laying new cable.

You need to assign the netgear (slave) router a static IP that is outside the DHCP range of the main DG3270 router.

For instance at my house my main router is set to use the 192.168.20 to 192.168.200 as its DHCP IP range.

My access point, another router set to access point mode, (see picture) has a static IP of 192.168.0.2 that I set
https://kb.netgear.com/000048466/How-to-set-your-Nighthawk-router-to-Router-mode

This mean that there will never be any confusion with the main router because it starts handing out IP address to other devices at 192.168.0.20.

I use 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.19 for IPs that i don't want to change, like Wireless Printers and routers/access points.

You can have both wireless networks up at the same time if you like.

But if the Netgear's range is large enough for the whole house I would take down the DG3270's wifi.

The static range is there only for devices that I don't want the IP to change, like the wireless printer.

If the printer's IP changed then some computers may not be able to print due to not knowing where the printer is.

The following example may work for your network;

Arris as 192.168.0.1 With Wifi off and DHCP on with a DHCP scope of 192.168.0.4 to 192.168.0.100
Nighthawk as 192.168.0.2 with Wifi On and DHCP off
192.168.0.3 could be your printer or any other device you want to add later that requires a static IP.

You never technically set a "static IP range".

Your "static IP range" is simply all the IP addresses you want to use that are not being given out by your router with DHCP.

Individual devices can have a static IP reservation setup.

For instance my printer has a reservation of 192.168.0.15 set on my main router that has DHCP enabled.
The printer is set to automatically pull from the router's DHCP.
The router says ok here is 192.168.0.15 that I have programmed for you to be.
And 192.168.0.15 is what the printer gets every time, even if i reboot the printer

Using the above example you also have a usable "static IP range" of 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.253(it may be lower than 253 for technical reasons, but its somewhere in the 250s)

Once the WIFI is setup on the Netgear and it is able to connect to the Arris which has DHCP turned on it should automatically start giving out addresses

Instead of pinging 8.8.8.8 try pinging your main router, 192.168.0.1.

If the connection drops then we know the issue is with the router or something between the computer and your router.

If the connection doesn't drop then we can start investigating the new modem or somewhere down the chain on your ISP's side.