if you get thermal grease on the pins of a amd cpu can you bath them in alcohol.

Jirvinh

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I recently pulled a cpu and it had arctic silver on the edge of the body and some got on the side of the pins. I tried to clean them with a cutip and a tooth pick but I bent a pin when i put it in the MB it broke it. So I'm wondering if it would hurt the cpu to put it in a little tub of alcohol and swish it around to dissolve the grease. then let it dry.

Solution
I would use a good quality rubbing alcohol and a very soft toothbrush with gentle action.
When you're done, you can check pin alignment with a good eye, or a very thin straightedge (razor blade?) through each row.

EDIT: broken pin? Oh no. I have no clue how to repair that, and doubt it is repairable :(
I would use a good quality rubbing alcohol and a very soft toothbrush with gentle action.
When you're done, you can check pin alignment with a good eye, or a very thin straightedge (razor blade?) through each row.

EDIT: broken pin? Oh no. I have no clue how to repair that, and doubt it is repairable :(

Solution