If you haven't played Armed Assault this is what your missing..

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/nD2n-y6rZMI&hl=en[/flash]

A video I made to celebrate the diversity, scale, uniqueness and beautiful mayhem that is ArmA mulitplayer.

To all the people who say that PC gaming is dead, this is where your wrong. The PC has strong online communities for many of its games. Armed Assault and all its user made content is a good example of something that could never be done on a console.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Its a lot more realistic. Well it is one of the most realistic games ever made. Its a simulation really, not a FPS. Also there is a whole country and you can go anywhere at any time, the scope of the game is amazing. I have never played BF but this will make it look like Quake 3.

The action is generally slow paced, it just might seem fast here because of the quick cutting.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

Just checking to be sure: the single player campaign is not a squadteam thing is it? Because I hate that kind of gameplay. I don't mind teaming up in a multi player game at all, but I just cannot get into ordering computer players about.. that's just bothersome, and also too much like chess. I like tactical and strategical but I like it real time and first person preferably.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
This is the sequel to operation flashpoint. It uses the same engine and is made by the same people who made operation flashpoint.

Its not MMO but on-line games can run for hours or days particularly sahrani life which is an RPG. It all takes place on this huge map with no loading times.

You can command a squad of troops and even play a bit like a RTS if you wanted but its mainly first person action. The AI can be useful in MP because you can recruit them and make them do boring or dangerous jobs.

The single player campaign is a bit rubbish really which is shame but you should just ignore and go straight online. There is no other MP game like it.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

It's a boxed retail game that has no monthly subscriptions as it is not a persistent game world, it just has a massive world map to play on.

darthvaderkenneth

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
I know that armed assault has really massive maps but is there any true long range sniping? most games hav sniper rifles with really crappy scopes with 200m has maximum sniping range. Why can't they hav games with a sniper taking out people at 1km+ like in the movie Shooter. And why get us to buy armed assault if a sequel is being developed we might as well w8 for that.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
OFP certainly had sniping out to 600m or so; the real limit was the ability of the PC to render that far.

Personally, much as I loved OFP, I tried the 'Armed Assault' demo a few months back and it was awful. The gun lagged so far behind the mouse that it was almost impossible to hit anything, and when I went exploring in buildings I had a marked tendency to fall through the walls. A military shooter game where you can't aim because the gun keeps moving for half a second after you stop moving the mouse is just useless.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I loved flashpoint (I also own arma, i do enjoy it but) They didn't fix any of the really annoying things that bugged me in flashpoint. Primarily being clunky animations. i.e. un-like other fps games, you can't move and reload, basically once an animation is in progress you can't cancel it and do something else instead. Like you start reloading your weapon a baddie jumps out, and your forced to stand still there and wait for your guy to reload. The AI (my favorite thing is creating missions, so this annoys me) is very inconsistent, sometimes the AI has the skill of a pro seal team other times, its like you handed a hippy a gun and he wont shoot anyone. Also with the AI, as far as entering structures the AI is a little confused, and just don't do it right. Another gripe is, with the realism of the ground warfare from the soldiers point of view, I wish they went that extra mile to "sim out" all aspects i.e. fighting from a tank, or air unit so the game would function great as a stand alone sim from any battlefield position such as armor air or infantry.

Now some positives, as far as simluation goes, you cant really beat it. I LOVE the mission editor and the great mods created by the community (Primarily new soldier types, countries, vehicles, air units, weapons, and full scale maps). But yes the game can be played in various ways, such as an RTS. say you have a squad, you can "order" them instead of leading them if you so choose, pretty precisely I might add. For the scale of the game the graphics arent bad. Overall my only big gripe is the clunky animiations that cause you to feel restricted in movement. Aside from that if your looking for a simulation give it a shot.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007

In armed assault the view distance can scale to 10Km (if you have SLi 8800s to run it :p). Enemies can be engaged at any range, even Kms away but it takes some serious skill shoot at that range. You have to correct for the arc of the bullet and wind conditions. There is a gun in the game called an M107 which is so powerful that you have to go prone to shoot it and it can take out enemies at nearly 2km.

[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/P1yvRxEbDVM&hl=en[/flash]

[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/yE7SQekr0ck&hl=en[/flash]

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I meant to try this a long time ago, but I had a bad pc back then, i'll give it a try (demo somewhere inst there?), but I doubt i'd like it, slower pace than bf2, more like project reality mod and the other abbreviated AA game from what I read.. BF2 and CS is about as slow as I go lol.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah it's more popular in Europe and I think there are more European servers than American. Its a very international MP scene and its quite playable even with pings approaching 200 anyway.