News If You Own an Asustor NAS, Shut It Down Now

USAFRet

Titan
"Asustor NAS owners on Reddit and the official Asustor forums have reported that they've fallen victim to a DeadBolt ransomware attack. DeadBolt has been in the wild for some time now, infecting unprotected NAS systems connected to the Internet."

I think the problem here is self evident.

Not sure how much I would trust a utility called "EZ Connect" to make the contents of a network accessible "anywhere around the world". And if they could get in there to encrypt the files, then it was also likely possible for them to upload the data to their servers as well.

And Asustor is apparently just a division of Asus, if anyone was wondering.

Reactions: artk2219

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

Somewhat off topic, but I finally found you. Just want to say thank you about your sig. Your sig picture finally got me to actually back up my data properly some time ago, and saved my data from a catastrophic drive failure (my main drive failed just few days after I finished backing up, that's like a lifetime worth of family pictures). If I hadn't found you randomly I'd be sitting here one lifetime memories short.

Have been looking for you, I remember the sig, but couldn't figure out who's the user. Again, thank you.

That said, I guess ignorance is a bliss, I couldn't figure out how to setup a NAS, so this won't affect me.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
One of the reasons why I moved away from using NAS besides the need to maintain it. The software for these branded NAS tend to be bad in terms of functionality and security. I've used Synology NAS before and the software keeps giving me problems, where some times it allow me to access my contents remotely and most of the time it keeps failing to let access my files and contents.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
One of the reasons why I moved away from using NAS besides the need to maintain it. The software for these branded NAS tend to be bad in terms of functionality and security. I've used Synology NAS before and the software keeps giving me problems, where some times it allow me to access my contents remotely and most of the time it keeps failing to let access my files and contents.

I'm using FreeNAS since 2015, it has all functionality I need, and best off all its free. Use old core i5-6400 with 8GB RAM and 4 x 4 TB WD Red in RAID 5. Last upgrade, installing 10Gbps NIC, so the backup prose is done much more quickly.

USAFRet

Titan
Somewhat off topic, but I finally found you. Just want to say thank you about your sig. Your sig picture finally got me to actually back up my data properly some time ago, and saved my data from a catastrophic drive failure (my main drive failed just few days after I finished backing up, that's like a lifetime worth of family pictures). If I hadn't found you randomly I'd be sitting here one lifetime memories short.

Have been looking for you, I remember the sig, but couldn't figure out who's the user. Again, thank you.

That said, I guess ignorance is a bliss, I couldn't figure out how to setup a NAS, so this won't affect me.
I rather like that pic as well.

Kudos to you for taking it to heart. Far too many people only think of the backup thing 5 minutes after they actually need it.

Mar 6, 2022
Yes, should have had a backup, I know, but we didnt have one current enough .. We have been scammed --This is a warning to avoid trying to recover from deadbolt Ransomwhere using USA based business found on Instagram, Whats app and this forum . They are know as "900Ethics" in the forums. They offer to restore deadbolt files for a total of $300, then when they have that, they then ask for another $100 for decryption software, then when thats paid they are for a delivery and gas fee of $150, then when thats paid, they say you have paid $550 but others have paid $1000 so 900Ethics say we should pay more also.. These guys are dishonest crooks and scammers..