Question If you'd buy a pre-built...

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Which (US based) company would you choose?? (And please don't suggest or even mention Dell!!)

There was a time when I'd build it myself, but my current health is a big issue right now. It is quite possible the PC would outlive me.

Requirements: Budget: $1500
  • Only a $500 GB C drive would be required (I can add my own 3 drives for everything else)
  • WiFi
  • 5+ USB drives
  • 16 GB RAM (32 GB if difference is negligible)
  • GPU: No preference
  • CPU: No preference, but leaning towards AMD because of upgradeability.
  • PSU: Depends on GPU.
  • Cooling: Whatever is required and as close to silent as possible.
The PC I have in mind would be used for gaming at 1080 / 1440, should be able to play games like Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus at reasonably high settings, (no multiplayer games), should still be viable / up-gradable in 4-6 years (assuming I am still around).

PS: Having a PC shop build it for me in this super affluent town is not an option. They specialize only in fixing minor things for the filthy rich / charging $300 to replace a HDD...

Thanks in advance, (and please read the part about not able to build it myself prior to replying.)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Take a look here:

PCBros – PCBrosLLC

I have no specific experience purchasing from them, however they are the "Toasty Bros" on YT and do multiple videos a week showcasing new and used builds. Looking over the website seems to indicate that pricing isn't completely unreasonable, but would be worth looking closer to see all the components they are using.

Also of note, it might be worthwhile to check your local CL or similar to see if any enthusiasts or small business owners are offering building services. In this case you could select your own parts, have them shipped in and have them build it. Surely better parts selection is possible that way and pretty much any build and buy is going to cut corners somewhere to maximise profits.

Hell, if you are anywhere near Atlanta I would be willing to help you out with a build. The biggest issue with the enthusiant/you get parts is that if it doesn't boot up and work straight off it can turn into a hassle.

Reactions: PEnns

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
ASUS and MSI have been pretty decent. They use their own parts generally, so everything is standard (at least on their MicroATX towers)

PSUs are always a little suspect from OEMs. Dell actually uses one of the better suppliers (Great Wall)

An upgradeable AMD system would mean AM5, not too many OEM systems out there yet, and they are going to be pretty expensive.

Which (US based) company would you choose?? (And please don't suggest or even mention Dell!!)

There was a time when I'd build it myself, but my current health is a big issue right now. It is quite possible the PC would outlive me.

Requirements: Budget: $1500
  • Only a $500 GB C drive would be required (I can add my own 3 drives for everything else)
  • WiFi
  • 5+ USB drives
  • 16 GB RAM (32 GB if difference is negligible)
  • GPU: No preference
  • CPU: No preference, but leaning towards AMD because of upgradeability.
  • PSU: Depends on GPU.
  • Cooling: Whatever is required and as close to silent as possible.
The PC I have in mind would be used for gaming at 1080 / 1440, should be able to play games like Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus at reasonably high settings, (no multiplayer games), should still be viable / up-gradable in 4-6 years (assuming I am still around).

PS: Having a PC shop build it for me in this super affluent town is not an option. They specialize only in fixing minor things for the filthy rich / charging $300 to replace a HDD...

Thanks in advance, (and please read the part about not able to build it myself prior to replying.)
Corsair does decent prebuilts but they are expensive.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I know who I would NOT....
CyberPowerPC or iBuyPower.
At any price.

Nothing really wrong with Dell. Or HP, Acer, Asus, etc, etc.

Boutique builders might be Origin or DigitalStorm

I agree about both (CyberPowerPC or iBuyPower).

But I'd go with HP's Omen (40L and 45L line) before any of the other big names, with Asus and Acer close behind,
Dell is an absolute nightmare with their proprietary everything.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
The boutiques will likely be pricey for what you want....and the 'off the shelf' might make upgrades tough (PSU, cooling etc).

I'm assuming you don't have a Microcenter nearby(ish)?
https://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/default.aspx

Never shopped there myself (I'm in Canada), but from what I understand their prices/selection are good... and their build fee is very reasonable.

No, unfortunately no Microcenter closer than a 2 day trip.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Take a look here:

PCBros – PCBrosLLC

I have no specific experience purchasing from them, however they are the "Toasty Bros" on YT and do multiple videos a week showcasing new and used builds. Looking over the website seems to indicate that pricing isn't completely unreasonable, but would be worth looking closer to see all the components they are using.

Also of note, it might be worthwhile to check your local CL or similar to see if any enthusiasts or small business owners are offering building services. In this case you could select your own parts, have them shipped in and have them build it. Surely better parts selection is possible that way and pretty much any build and buy is going to cut corners somewhere to maximise profits.

Hell, if you are anywhere near Atlanta I would be willing to help you out with a build. The biggest issue with the enthusiant/you get parts is that if it doesn't boot up and work straight off it can turn into a hassle.

Thank you for the info and the kind offer, much appreciated.

Reactions: punkncat