[SOLVED] Ifixit kit for pc build

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
What ifixit kit should i get for pc building? The manta kit, maki or mahi kit? Difference between maki and mahi is that mahi has a 1/4” driver while the other one is 4mm

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
iFixIt kits generally include rarely used security bits, #2 Phillips is the main screwdriver used for a normal build, fits case screws, motherboard screws, fans screws, and gpu mounting screws. You'd really only run into the need for something else if you are water cooling the video card, and maybe one tiny phillips if you are adding wireless card to the motherboard that isn't preinstalled.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
iFixIt kits generally include rarely used security bits, #2 Phillips is the main screwdriver used for a normal build, fits case screws, motherboard screws, fans screws, and gpu mounting screws. You'd really only run into the need for something else if you are water cooling the video card, and maybe one tiny phillips if you are adding wireless card to the motherboard that isn't preinstalled.
So i should go for the standard driver and bits? The 1/4” bits and driver

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
The Mahi kit does have what you need, but also a LOT that you don't. You likely only use the PH2 maybe the PH1, additionally the knurling (grip on the handle) will likely tear up your hand when installing fan screws. The regular screwdriver set Kanewolf linked or one like it, will have what you need to build a PC and be useful to have around the house. Of course if you see other bits in there that you actually have a use for, there is nothing stopping you from picking up that kit.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
The Mahi kit does have what you need, but also a LOT that you don't. You likely only use the PH2 maybe the PH1, additionally the knurling (grip on the handle) will likely tear up your hand when installing fan screws. The regular screwdriver set Kanewolf linked or one like it, will have what you need to build a PC and be useful to have around the house. Of course if you see other bits in there that you actually have a use for, there is nothing stopping you from picking up that kit.
Is there any good kit where you can reach small and tight places? Basically a small but long screwdriver/driver

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Still recommend a normal screwdriver for PC building but I personally have this kit for laptop repairs and the largest phillips bit is big enough for desktop screws, it has a build in extension that slides out and locks into place for longer reach.

And again, those fan screws WILL hurt your hand.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QZLV03O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just a question, is 4mm bit driver enough for pc building or do i need a bigger one?

D

Deleted member 14196

kodydoty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Just go to a hardware store and get a 3 size Philips driver set. Make sure they are magnetized, loose screws are DEADLY in a build.
iFixit sets are geared towards apple devices and mobile phone repair, the kits are not good for building a PC. They are good if you intend on doing laptop screen repairs, or laptop repairs in general.

A good set for cheap is at this LINK - Amazon!
If you really want an iFixit kit the Mako Kit is the least overkill for a build project.

Last edited:

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Just go to a hardware store and get a 3 size Philips driver set. Make sure they are magnetized, loose screws are DEADLY in a build.
iFixit sets are geared towards apple devices and mobile phone repair, the kits are not good for building a PC. They are good if you intend on doing laptop screen repairs, or laptop repairs in general.
Question is, should i get a 4mm driver or 1/4" driver?

kanewolf

Titan
Question is, should i get a 4mm driver or 1/4" driver?
They can be useful if you have a hex-head screw that is over tightened. But those same hex-head screws have #2 Phillips head screwdriver slots.
Is it ABSOLUTELY necessary, probably not. Is it convenient, sometimes. It is up to you if the few extra $$$ is too much to spend.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1/4" kit. Almost all standard replaceable screwdriver bits are 1/4" drive. Extremely unlikely to go to a hardware store to get replacement Philips #2 bits in 4mm size.

I've been building pc's for almost 40 years and never had to use anything more than a 6" #2 Philips screwdriver (for tower cpu coolers) and a 10-in-1 modular screwdriver.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Probably beating a dead horse. I add to the voice, don't need anything special beyond your household screwdriver, but if a kit makes u feel better go for it.
Problem is, my household screwdriver's magnet strength is quiet bad, it doesn't attract the screws, the screws fall off when trying to place it on my driver. That is why im looking for a good screwdriver, mainly a driver with different bits.

kanewolf

Titan
They are all basically the same. I wouldn't stress about a specific "brand". I only linked the Amazon page as an example. You can probably go buy one in an auto parts store.