IFOEDIT and TPMGENC

littleberry

IFOEDIT gurus, help!

I have several mpeg2 files I create live from TV using
moviemill and the kfir-II encoder (VideoH card).
Most are DVD compliant and I can just use TMPgenc authoring
to create the video_ts structure for burning a DVD.

Some of the mpeg2 files I capture wind up not being DVD compliant
(as per TMPGENC authoring), so I have to find another way to get
a DVD from these. (I have no clue why this happens, even after
exhausting research - no answers)

I tried using TMPGENC's file/mpeg tools/simple de-multiplex option,
but it only suggests a video output, and offers no audio output.
When I try to manually type in the audio output, I get the following
error: "illegal Dolby AC-3 stream".

So I switch to file/mpeg tools/de-multiplex instead, and it expects
you to double-click on each of the two items: one is the video
WITH information and the other is the audio with NO information.

I first select the audio and RUN, then the video and RUN.

I get both a m2v video file, and an audio file that I manually
named as an mp2 file. The thing is that when I "play" this
mp2 file using windows media player, it plays just fine -
I hear the soundtrack of the movie for sure. So I know
that the resulting mp2 file does indeed have the correct audio
on it, even though I couldn't use "simple de-multiplex"
to get it.

When I then go to IFOEDIT/DVD authoring, and identify both
the m2v and the mp2 file as input, and select my chapter
cell-times, I get what looks like a good DVD folder but
there is NO SOUND.

Help.

Or is there another way to get my 'non-compliant' mpeg2 file
de-multiplexed so that IFOedit will make the dvd WITH SOUND?

Littleberry

"Littleberry" <davsf@neto.com> wrote in message
> IFOEDIT gurus, help!
>
> I have several mpeg2 files I create live from TV using
> moviemill and the kfir-II encoder (VideoH card).
> Most are DVD compliant and I can just use TMPgenc authoring
> to create the video_ts structure for burning a DVD.
>
> Some of the mpeg2 files I capture wind up not being DVD compliant
> (as per TMPGENC authoring), so I have to find another way to get
> a DVD from these. (I have no clue why this happens, even after
> exhausting research - no answers)
>
> I tried using TMPGENC's file/mpeg tools/simple de-multiplex option,
> but it only suggests a video output, and offers no audio output.
> When I try to manually type in the audio output, I get the following
> error: "illegal Dolby AC-3 stream".
>
> So I switch to file/mpeg tools/de-multiplex instead, and it expects
> you to double-click on each of the two items: one is the video
> WITH information and the other is the audio with NO information.
>
> I first select the audio and RUN, then the video and RUN.
>
> I get both a m2v video file, and an audio file that I manually
> named as an mp2 file. The thing is that when I "play" this
> mp2 file using windows media player, it plays just fine -
> I hear the soundtrack of the movie for sure. So I know
> that the resulting mp2 file does indeed have the correct audio
> on it, even though I couldn't use "simple de-multiplex"
> to get it.
>
> When I then go to IFOEDIT/DVD authoring, and identify both
> the m2v and the mp2 file as input, and select my chapter
> cell-times, I get what looks like a good DVD folder but
> there is NO SOUND.
>
> Help.
>
> Or is there another way to get my 'non-compliant' mpeg2 file
> de-multiplexed so that IFOedit will make the dvd WITH SOUND?
>
> Littleberry

I also have been using an AVC-2000 for some time now. It takes
a lot of effort to make it produce .mpg that is not DVD compliant. I
have even captured with I/P distance set to 0, and had no problems
using it with TMPGEnc DVD Author. What are your capture settings
in MovieMill? Which version are you using? ( I like the 260 myself)
Which driver and are you trying to make it do CBR? How have you
set the MPEG Codec Properties, Audio Parameters? Have you
changed the registry entry to allow adjusting the Encoding Type?

I had one of my captured files damaged while it was on my hard
drive once, and it was rejected by TMPGEnc DVD Author but
running it thru TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 fixed it right up.

The bottom line is that your AVC-2000 can and should be producing
DVD compliant MPEG with MPEG Layer 2 audio; all the time. It can
be made to provide PCM audio (with a change in registry setting) and
it is also able to capture the audio separately as wav or MPEG; but
that is not the most effective way to do it.

Luck;
Ken

littleberry

Ken,

I also use version 260, but I use an I/P distance of 1 so as to
get the best possible stills. It works about 80% of the time
with no problems (capturing movies off a satellite feed).
I just use tmpgenc authoring and like magic I have a really good
dvd to burn. I even use autoit to schedule when to start and
stop several capture's during a day or night.

For the 20% when tmpgenc finds an error, I have never been able
to really get to the bottom of what is wrong. I still do not
know, but, for those captures, even DVDLABS will not create
a dvd from them. What I had decided to do was to get a cheap
DVD player (cyberhome 300) which plays mpg files on dvd data
discs, and I more or less accepted it as is.

But I have just discovered a solution. There is a thing called
Besliced (I don't have the link right handy - but it can be found
by googing for IFOEDIT). This nifty little program (free) will
read a sound file (mp2, m2a, ac3) and correct any errors it finds.
I had read that IFOEDIT's authoring probram requires elementary
streams (*.m2v and *.m2a), unlike TMPGENC which will take a *.mpg.
So I renamed the mp2 sound file to m2a, and then I ran it through
Bespliced and it found errors and "fixed" them (whatever it
did, I do not know). Then I ran IFOEDIT's dvd authoring feature
against the m2v and the fixed m2a files and "voila!", I got a
good DVD that also has no sync problem. I can burn my mpg-only
files to DVD now.

I am now suspecting that the 20% of my captures that are not
DVD compliant are because there is an error in the sound part
of the mpg (maybe caused with the transfer to disk?). I suspect
this because all the non-compliant mpg files I still have on
my hard drive will not "demux" using tmpgenc's "simple demux"
feature, but, all the other mpg captures (those that tmpgenc's
dvd authroing will convert to DVD flawlessly) allow themselves
to be demuxed using tmpgenc's "simple demux" feature. That
makes me suspicious that the problem all along with my
occasional non-compliant mpg captures has been some kind
of transient error in the sound part of the capture.

When I use tmpgenc's full "demux" (instead of the "simple demux")
feature, I can get the sound part extracted, and it lets me
name it as I please, so, I just name it as a m2a files and then
let Besliced find the error, so IFOEDIT's dvd authoring will
make it into a DVD. If this analysis is correct, then I can
make DVD's out of all my non-compliant mpg's I have been
accumulating. Like I said, though, most all of my captures
are good DVD-compliant captures that go like clockwork.

One other thing I recenly learned - IFOEDIT will also allow
you to create chapters at pre-defined intervals, using what
it calls CellTimes.txt, which is just a simple text file
where each line is the frame number to mark a chapter.
This allows me to make a chapter every 5 minutes, just
like my stand-alone dvd recorder, and, so I am glad to
promote IFOEDIT as a top notch freeware program - especially
since there is also Besliced to fix any sound errors.

Littleberry

TRENDING THREADS