News Igor's Lab Says Nvidia's 16-Pin Adapter Is to Blame for the RTX 4090 Fire Hazard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
instead of speculating wildly in public, david, why don't you read the source article which was written by someone who knows what they are talking about and has analysed the situation very thoroughly?
The whole point of forums is to speculate and share ideas right? It's OK to be mistaken

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Sounds like they need to take them off the market!
Nvidia will address this fire risk by issuing a notice to place your gaming PC outside instead of indoors next to a desk. Hey, it worked for Chevy with the Bolt fires! Nvidia already cheaped out on the adapters. Taking responsibility or fixing things would make executives miss out on bonuses tied to profits.

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
OK, no. As much as I'd like to tag Nvidia with this, the problem is still that the connector standard itself is to blame. Simply allowing that amount of power into such itty bitty little contact points is in and of itself a serious flaw. There is a reason that the wires of the four 8-pin plugs are that thick. They carry a lot of current and allow for a lot of tolerance. You are taking four massive power cables and mashing them all into one little connector. Doesn't work. The contact surface area of one single 8-pin connector is equivalent to the contact are of that entire 16-pin connector. It is, quite simply, a bad design.

I like your reasoning. I knew that connect was going to be an issue just by looking at it. Again so glad I passed up on my opportunity to beta test that graphic card from Nvidia. LOL

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
OK, no. As much as I'd like to tag Nvidia with this, the problem is still that the connector standard itself is to blame. Simply allowing that amount of power into such itty bitty little contact points is in and of itself a serious flaw. There is a reason that the wires of the four 8-pin plugs are that thick. They carry a lot of current and allow for a lot of tolerance. You are taking four massive power cables and mashing them all into one little connector. Doesn't work. The contact surface area of one single 8-pin connector is equivalent to the contact are of that entire 16-pin connector. It is, quite simply, a bad design.
wow that's a really long way of saying "blah blah i don't care about reasonable explanation, I -FEEL- that it's the connector! I don't know anything about engineering but I -FEEL- they designed it wrong!"

they're pushing 100watts through a usb c cable a fraction of the size. science doesn't care about your feelings.