Question IGP video RAM limited to 64MB. Is this normal?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm testing someone's i5-8400 system for stability issues. Although it comes with a GTX 1070, I removed that and am testing it with the IGP. When I go into BIOS, I was surprised to see that the maximum amount of video RAM that can be allocated to the IGP is only 64 MB, starting from 12 MB in steps of 4 MB. I checked the specs for the CPU and Intel says that it can use up to 64 GB for graphics.

I thought 'MB' might be a kind of typo in the BIOS but then a minimum of 12 GB seems high. I'm less familiar with Intel systems than with AMD. Could anybody please provide some enlightenment?

i5-8400
MSI B360M Mortar, BIOS v1.B0 (flashed by the owner)
2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ
GTX 1070 - temporarily removed.

Lutfij

Titan
The real question is what are you testing while on the iGPU? Why are you doing it in either case? The iGPU is meant to be for daily tasks or people who can't afford a discrete GPU. In some cases, they've been used on bargain HTPC setups. As a side note, you have one more BIOS update pending. As for the OS, what are you working with?

The maximum amount of memory accessible to processor graphics. Processor graphics operates on the same physical memory as the CPU (subject to OS, driver, and other system limitations).
^ Taken off of here.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The real question is what are you testing while on the iGPU? Why are you doing it in either case?
Why is that the real question?

The iGPU is meant to be for daily tasks or people who can't afford a discrete GPU. In some cases, they've been used on bargain HTPC setups. As a side note, you have one more BIOS update pending. As for the OS, what are you working with?

The maximum amount of memory accessible to processor graphics. Processor graphics operates on the same physical memory as the CPU (subject to OS, driver, and other system limitations).
^ Taken off of here.
I'm familiar with all of those elementary facts, having built a couple of hundred desktops over the past 25 years or so. It's just that, as already said, I'm much less familiar with Intel systems than with AMD, and was surprised to see that the amount of video RAM is limited to such a small amount in this day and age. I expected at least 512 MB and asked if the 64MB limit is normal, that's all.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not sure. Back in the days when the integrated graphics were physically part of the motherboard's Northbridge chipset, it was actual memory modules soldered onto the board. Not sure how it is now with graphics integrated with the CPU.

-Wolf sends