[SOLVED] iGPU and external monitor

Jun 12, 2021
My laptop (Asus ROG Strix G15, Nvidia RTX 3060) has been giving me notifications that the iGPU Power Saving Mode doesn't support the output of an external display. However, sometimes it does go into this mode (which I prefer, since it saves lots of battery power)... but sometimes it also switches back (with that notification), thus consuming way more power. What is causing this problem? Do I have to connect it trough the thunderbolt instead of the HDMI?

I have already updated Windows, BIOS, Nvidia, Armory Crate (and reinstalled it); nothing helped. The only thing that could be a problem is a "System Firmware Code 10 error".

Solution
My laptop (Asus ROG Strix G15, Nvidia RTX 3060) has been giving me notifications that the iGPU Power Saving Mode doesn't support the output of an external display. However, sometimes it does go into this mode (which I prefer, since it saves lots of battery power)... but sometimes it also switches back (with that notification), thus consuming way more power. What is causing this problem? Do I have to connect it trough the thunderbolt instead of the HDMI?
The output of the laptop may be connected to the dGPU rather than the iGPU.

However if there's nothing connected to the output from the iGPU, I don't think it's actually consuming more power. If there is any additional power consumption, it's more likely because you plugged...

Ralston18

Titan
Turn off (temporarily) all power savers. Determine if the notifications/problem continues.

Take a look in Task Manager and Task Scheduler.

Look for some app or utility being launched or triggered that is related to graphics/displays.

Look in Reliability History: Reliability History may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurs with thedescribed switches.

Likewise for Event Viewer - just not as user friendly.

Right clicking any entry may provide more details about what happened. The details may or may not be helpful.

Do research (google) any presented error codes but do not immediately react on any findings. Try to get more information first.

The output of the laptop may be connected to the dGPU rather than the iGPU.

However if there's nothing connected to the output from the iGPU, I don't think it's actually consuming more power. If there is any additional power consumption, it's more likely because you plugged something into the output from the dGPU.

Solution