[SOLVED] iGPU display works but not discrete one

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
What the title says. Today I booted up the computer and the screen just turned black. The iGPU works fine but when I go to device manager using it I only see Intel HD Graphics. Yesterday the RX 570 was working fine but now it's not. Any explanations? Thanks in advance.

Solution
It is not clear if your problem is your newly bought psu that might be defective, or if it is the 570 which may be defective.
A poor quality psu can cause all sorts of problems which are hard to diagnose.
A cheap psu could have caused damage to the motherboard or to the 570.
Or, it might just be not operating properly.
Your attempt to use an external psu to power the graphics card in addition to not working, might have damaged the 570 or to other components like the motherboard or the native psu.
Asking for the make model of the power supplies in question is an attempt to find out if either unit is of such quality to be suspect.

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose pc hardware problems seems to be the process of swapping parts with...

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
HP Elite 8200 Elite. It's an office desktop.

8GB Ram,
I7 2600,
I'm using a seperate PSU for the GPU. It's a 300w one. I don't know the exact specs but I doubt it's the PSU or the PC would shut down since it only has a 300w one and the RX 570 needs much more than that.

Replace the psu, and hope that it did not fail under load and damage your graphics card in the process.
Without the usual requisite 8 pin connector, I am surprised that it ever worked at all. a 300w psu will not have any 6 or 8 pin power connectors .
Using molex to an 8 pin adapter is just asking for trouble.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Replace the psu, and hope that it did not fail under load and damage your graphics card in the process.
Without the usual requisite 8 pin connector, I am surprised that it ever worked at all. a 300w psu will not have any 6 or 8 pin power connectors .
Using molex to an 8 pin adapter is just asking for trouble.
No, it had all the power connectors that you stated.

It would be helpful to get details on exactly what you have.
In particular, the make/model of the psu installed in the pc.
Go back to basic testing.

1. Remove the 570 and boot using integrated graphics.
If that works, good, at least you still have a working pc.

2. Install the 570, but do not connect the monitor to it.
If your installed psu has 6 and 8 pin cables, connect them.
I surmise that the psu does not but try powering on anyway with your monitor connected to the integrated graphics.
If you see a display, good. If not your 570 may be the problem, or the psu you have declined to describe is likely the culprit.

The make of the power supplies is important.
A poor quality unit will not deliver advertised power and may have caused damage to other parts.
The fact that things seemed to work before is indicative of some damage being caused by the jury rigged setup.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
It would be helpful to get details on exactly what you have.
In particular, the make/model of the psu installed in the pc.
Go back to basic testing.

1. Remove the 570 and boot using integrated graphics.
If that works, good, at least you still have a working pc.

2. Install the 570, but do not connect the monitor to it.
If your installed psu has 6 and 8 pin cables, connect them.
I surmise that the psu does not but try powering on anyway with your monitor connected to the integrated graphics.
If you see a display, good. If not your 570 may be the problem, or the psu you have declined to describe is likely the culprit.

The make of the power supplies is important.
A poor quality unit will not deliver advertised power and may have caused damage to other parts.
The fact that things seemed to work before is indicative of some damage being caused by the jury rigged setup.
It's a GPU problem for sure,the PSU is recently bought. I tried the GPU in my computer and I still got no display. If you need the model of thr PSU I can give it to you, just give me a sec. But are you saying there's a possibility that the PSU killed the RX 570?

Last edited:
It is not clear if your problem is your newly bought psu that might be defective, or if it is the 570 which may be defective.
Your attempt to use an external psu to power the graphics card in addition to not working, might have damaged the 570 or to other components like the motherboard or the native psu.
Asking for the make model of the power supplies in question is an attempt to find out if either unit is of such quality to be suspect.

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose pc hardware problems seems to be the process of swapping parts with known good parts or to swap suspected parts to known good pc's.

Solution

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose pc hardware problems seems to be the process of swapping parts with known good parts or to swap suspected parts to known good pc's.
I did the second option.