[SOLVED] iGPU more power hungry than RTX 3060 when laptop is running on battery power ?

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
Hello, so I've got an Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop (16ACH6H) with Ryzen 5 5600H and RTX 3060

I want to optimize the battery for the best performace, so I installed the Lenovo Vantage app so I can manage which GPU is used. I turn on "Hybrid Mode" which enables laptop to use both GPUs, in device manager I disable the RTX 3060 so the system will only use the iGPU, the problem is that the battery only lasts about 2-3 hours max... I tried to switch the hybrid mode off so the system would disable the iGPU and use only RTX, that way I got 4 hours.

I find very strange that the laptop battery drains faster when using the iGPU ?

I have installed the latest drivers for both GPUs, where is the problem? Please help..

Solution
You might want to first see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? If your BIOS and OS are up to date turn your attention to the drivers. Uninstall all remnants of your chipset and GPU('s) using DDU and then manually reinstall all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You will need to source the latest drivers off of Lenovo's support site, mind you prior to uninstalling using DDU. Once you've reinstalled your chipset and GPU drivers, try Vantage and see if that changes your results.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to first see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? If your BIOS and OS are up to date turn your attention to the drivers. Uninstall all remnants of your chipset and GPU('s) using DDU and then manually reinstall all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You will need to source the latest drivers off of Lenovo's support site, mind you prior to uninstalling using DDU. Once you've reinstalled your chipset and GPU drivers, try Vantage and see if that changes your results.

Reactions: Hiatro
Solution
I suspect that how you disable the 3060 did not actually work and you were actually using both gpu's.

Without any manipulation, the normal balanced power profile in windows will use the 3060 when plugged in and use integrated graphics when on battery.
On battery, the cpu multiplier will also get lowered for battery savings.

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020

Today new BIOS update came out so I immediately installed, I'm on Win 10 21H2.

I just DDUd the drivers, installed fresh ones from Lenovo website and tomorrow at school I'm gonna test the battery, until then, THANK YOU!

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020
I suspect that how you disable the 3060 did not actually work and you were actually using both gpu's.

Without any manipulation, the normal balanced power profile in windows will use the 3060 when plugged in and use integrated graphics when on battery.
On battery, the cpu multiplier will also get lowered for battery savings.
I've installed msi afterburner so I can track GPU/CPU power, in the "Hybird-mode" GPU1 is AMD, on the notif bar I see that CPU is using 2-10W and I cannot track GPU1 power, only GPU2, which on battery and 0% rtx usage it says 20W, which is a lot, when i disable it it draws 0

Hiatro

Prominent
May 8, 2020

Okay so today I was using it and I can reckon it's the same as before, after about 20 mins of usage 15% down :(