Question IGPU overheating?

norman8

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Hello members,

I am hoping for some input from you regarding unusually high temperature of my IGPU and consequent shutdowns.

As stated, I have an integrated GPU (Radeon 7660D) and the temperature (according to my GPU Temp program) is always very low, anywhere from below 0 to up to 20°C. Today, however, when I turn on the computer, it is constantly climbing, until it reaches almost 50°C and then the computer shuts down. I'm guessing it does that because of the high IGPU temp. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary on the computer to cause this.

I would really appreciate if you could help me find out what is causing this sudden IGPU temp spike and how to lower it.

Thank you in advance,

N

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Does the overheating have any relation to the taxation/load/resource usage of your OS? Are you on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard? Stock cooler?

norman8

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Thank you for your reply Lutfij.

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD A10-5800K APU (4 CPUs), 3.80GHz
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7660D
Power Supply Unit: 420W (stock)

The Performance tab in Task Manager shows an average of 35% CPU usage. The motherboard has stock cooler, yes. There is a more "recent" BIOS driver available, but it was released in 2013, just a few months after the version I have installed, which has been working perfectly for years. I'm a bit skeptical about BIOS drivers being the issue here, out of the blue after all these years. Of course, I'm no expert. Again, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

jmason5956

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 13, 2018
Hi, norman. Firstly, change the grease and clean the dust. Then look what in autoload (when you're booting your PC). Try to load it in a safe mode. Clean it from the viruses, unnecessary plugins. And don't forget to test your HDD and operating memory. If you change your Power Supply Unit is it getting better?