Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Going straight to the point:
1 - Is DeepCool G15 in the same tier as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?
2 - Does Thermal Grizzly have any warranty on this type of defect? I mean, change the batch i own.

Hello, I had a MA610P and noticed something strange after removing it, the same i noticed in my 212 now. My already sold 8700 had some scratches on it's IHS and the copper base of the MA610P too, nothing to worry about and i just moved on. Now, after selling my MOBO + CPU and intending to sell my 212, these strange scratches were present on the bottom of the cooler. After some research, i discovered the probable cause: the thermal paste, which is a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I don't want to scratch my future parts and I would like to know if the DeepCool G15 (which comes with the cooler I bought) is at least equivalent to the Kryonaut.
vEg3N1c.png

Solution
They bring up some of the things I thought about, which is why I asked about the cleaning, some of your scratches are really long, but use of the included spatula dragging a contaminant would explain that easy enough.

I got scratches like those on my glasses one time, from a microfiber rag right out of the dryer. Totally skipped my mind that I'd been working around heavy steel for a few days and had tons of drilling fibers (super heated) that had stuck to my hoodie, washing loosened them and the microfiber rag picked some up.

I like Kryonaut, but still prefer Noctua for cpus and mx-4 for gpus. Gelid extreme and Prolimatech pk-3 are also very good for cpus.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seriously doubtful it was the paste, but can't say it wasn't. If it was contaminated somehow I suppose it could happen, but cooler bases are usually nickle-chrome plated and it'd require something like metal shavings to scratch them. Ppl even use IC Diamond thermal paste, that has diamond dust as a component and don't scratch the base/IHS.

Considering a batch of paste is made in massive volume, there'd be lots of complaints, your particular container would be one of thousands affected.

If you look closely, many of those don't even look like scratches, they look more like pits, like some sort of solvent was present somewhere. What exactly did you use to clean the base/IHS with?

No, the Deepcool isn't equivalent to the Kryonaut which is at the top of the class for thermal conductivity, but it's only a very small step above many of the other better pastes. The Deepcool is better than average, not exactly terrible, but there's only a 5-6°C difference between best and worst, so the Deepcool will be just fine.

Easiest way to get an answer on the paste is put a dab on an old pair of sunglasses, give it a good rub with your finger. If it scratches them, you have the answer, if it doesn't, I'd be thinking there was something in your cleaning that was the culprit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maikurosofuto

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Seriously doubtful it was the paste, but can't say it wasn't. If it was contaminated somehow I suppose it could happen, but cooler bases are usually nickle-chrome plated and it'd require something like metal shavings to scratch them. Ppl even use IC Diamond thermal paste, that has diamond dust as a component and don't scratch the base/IHS.

Considering a batch of paste is made in massive volume, there'd be lots of complaints, your particular container would be one of thousands affected.

If you look closely, many of those don't even look like scratches, they look more like pits, like some sort of solvent was present somewhere. What exactly did you use to clean the base/IHS with?

No, the Deepcool isn't equivalent to the Kryonaut which is at the top of the class for thermal conductivity, but it's only a very small step above many of the other better pastes. The Deepcool is better than average, not exactly terrible, but there's only a 5-6°C difference between best and worst, so the Deepcool will be just fine.

Easiest way to get an answer on the paste is put a dab on an old pair of sunglasses, give it a good rub with your finger. If it scratches them, you have the answer, if it doesn't, I'd be thinking there was something in your cleaning that was the culprit.
I think I have enough experience of not making the mistake of contaminating the cooler's contact with the IHS, there is always a first time, but twice I find it more unlikely to occur. I always use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning on these occasions, basically i use it for almost any type of internal cleaning (even external).

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
It definitely seems like the paste would be the culprit. I've just never seen it happen. But it's man made so it is possible.
I've seen some reports about this issue, if you search "Thermal Grizzly Abrasive" you'll find a lot about this Kryonaut behavior. I sent an e-mail to TG, but no response yet...Here's some examples:
. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-properties-and-high-temp-degradation.829823/
. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/kryonaut-abrasive.18827970/
. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...grizzly-kryonaut-psa-nasty-scratching.261985/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They bring up some of the things I thought about, which is why I asked about the cleaning, some of your scratches are really long, but use of the included spatula dragging a contaminant would explain that easy enough.

I got scratches like those on my glasses one time, from a microfiber rag right out of the dryer. Totally skipped my mind that I'd been working around heavy steel for a few days and had tons of drilling fibers (super heated) that had stuck to my hoodie, washing loosened them and the microfiber rag picked some up.

I like Kryonaut, but still prefer Noctua for cpus and mx-4 for gpus. Gelid extreme and Prolimatech pk-3 are also very good for cpus.

Solution