Question Iiyama 28'' screen intermittent flickering and black screen

Sep 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a Iiyama 28'' G-Master screen that I bought 4 years ago, and which I use together with a second screen on a Windows 10 PC. About two months ago, I noticed that the screen occasionally flickered to black, but would stabilize again. This has gotten steadily worse, to the point where the screen will go black for about 20 minutes, then come back on again. The time between blackouts has also shortened considerably.

I checked a number of things of course, including switching cables, or connecting the screen to another PC. The issue is definitely limited to the screen itself.

I was able to repair an older screen by replacing a bad capacitor, so I opened this one up to check. Everything's pristine on the circuit boards, it looks like new. No sign of any caps bulging, leaking, or any other components overheating. I even tested all the capacitors with a specialized tester I borrowed, which can test them in-circuit, but they are all good.

Any ideas what I could try? I wouldn't know what to look for beyond bad caps, and it would be a damn shame to put the screen in the bin :|

Sep 11, 2020
I chanced upon this link, it's a pretty exhaustive list of things to do to check where a monitor's problem can come from:

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9589/how-fix-monitor-keeps-going-black-turning

I'm definitely on the right track with it being a hardware issue, like bad capacitors. However, since all the capacitors seem to be good, I'm not quite sure what to do next. Still, the symptoms match bad capacitors so well that I'm wondering if I missed something.