Im a gamer with very bad internet im wondering what i can do to fix high ping

Xanderp56

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
I have 1.5 mbps down and 300 kbps up dsl internet but the speeds arent the problem the problem is if one other person is using any bit of bandwidth i have over 400 ping i was wondering if getting a better modem and router then the one i have now the motorola NVG510 would lower my ping if so what are some recommendations

Solution
Your only realistic option is to get another internet connection for the other person. I am going to guess that you are exceeding the 300kbps upload rates. Games send and receive data constantly when you play. Many actually need more than the 300kbps so they may not run at all.

Even though you likely have just enough download rate to allow someone else to do simple things the small amount of upload traffic even from requesting web pages is likely enough to push you over the upload limit.
Your only realistic option is to get another internet connection for the other person. I am going to guess that you are exceeding the 300kbps upload rates. Games send and receive data constantly when you play. Many actually need more than the 300kbps so they may not run at all.

Even though you likely have just enough download rate to allow someone else to do simple things the small amount of upload traffic even from requesting web pages is likely enough to push you over the upload limit.

Solution
Getting another modem will not necessarily fix your issue. I'm not familiar with motorola NVG510 so can't comment. I have Belkin N300 with no issues.
Ping rate to a server is the route and distance and yes 400 Ping rate is not good.
1.5 mbps is very slow download rate and I would question if your getting what your paying for from your ISP.
Naturally two connections to a single ISP is going to take up bandwidth.

I live in Australia and we have lousy internet and best we can get is ADSL 2 and no fiber optics yet.
My ping can go as high as 1000 to a server in the USA. So yea its a problem with some games.

TRENDING THREADS