romeonmya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Ok so I built my computer and thought I had a decent rig. Specs are

nvidia 9800 with 1 gig ddr3 running at pci-e 2.0
amd phenom x2 black edition 3.10 ghz
2 gig of 800mhz ddr2 ram

ok so I run Crysis at 1680x1050 and i run it on enthusiast and TO ME it seemed like it was running well. no lag "that i could see". Made it thru 2 stages fine! Then i saw i was in directx9 mode (I run windows 7) So i run the game in directx 10 mode and start at gamer and its fine once again from what I could see no lag or nothing. So I go up to enthusiast and once again TO ME its running well. But when I turn on fraps it shows im running at 14fps. If I was running at that low fps wouldnt I see a major lag? When I shoot its fine, in trucks fine, explosions...fine! So can someone explain to me why its running at low fps but no lag? A friend said dont worry about fps just enjoy the game but if I built this rig I want it to be able to push the game the way its suppose to be ran. am I just over reacting?

Solution
Hey romeo,

To be honest with all the talk of FPS and benchmarks and everything else, in the end all that matters when you yourself are playing a game is if you can enjoy it. If you can enjoy Crysis with your system at those settings it doesn't matter whether or not it's running well in comparison to other people's computers. Personally I doubt I could enjoy it at those settings with your card, but that's completely irrelevant. Like your friend said, if you're enjoying yourself then the game is being run to its full potential. Graphics are supplemental (if not nice to have occasionally) and don't take much away from the gameplay.

Best of luck in figuring it out.
Yeh...a 9800GT or 9800GTX will definately lag with High setings at 1650x1080 and lag to the point of being almost totally unplayable if it's on Very High.

Hell, my 4870 lags slightly with VeryHigh at 1280x1024 (AA at x4)...

I think you're probably used to playing first person shooters with low frame rates... lol

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hey romeo,

To be honest with all the talk of FPS and benchmarks and everything else, in the end all that matters when you yourself are playing a game is if you can enjoy it. If you can enjoy Crysis with your system at those settings it doesn't matter whether or not it's running well in comparison to other people's computers. Personally I doubt I could enjoy it at those settings with your card, but that's completely irrelevant. Like your friend said, if you're enjoying yourself then the game is being run to its full potential. Graphics are supplemental (if not nice to have occasionally) and don't take much away from the gameplay.

Best of luck in figuring it out.

Solution

romeonmya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Yea I think you said it best. I came up from a gg00gt to this card and running at 2.0 and a nice cpu made a huge difference. I tried enthusiast on my 6600gt and crysis laughed at it lol. I would shoot and it took like 6 seconds for the bullet to leave the gun. But yea im cool at these settings and its not hindering my game play at all so hey if its not broke dont fix it lol. The game is responding very well and its no lag at all so You right its comes down to a person being satisfied and enjoying it and not all about being technical. Thanks for the response.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I have a 1 GB 4870 card that's slightly overclocked and play Crysis at 1920x1200, 8AA enthusiast settings and it plays fine. Occasionally, like during an explosion, the game chokes a little, but 99% of the time I don't notice anything wrong. I have an i5 system with 8GB Ram and run windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Many have said there's no way, but maybe I'm like you and 15 fps is fine.

romeonmya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

yea lol mine is going at 20fps at high resolution and only time i see a little lag is when it says checkpoint saved. I didnt notice a issue until i got nosey and tried to benchmark my fps. If I hadnt did that I wouldnt have even noticed it was a slow framerate lol. I think running at pci-e 2.0 helps alot also.