Question I'm a new builder and need some help

Mar 8, 2023
Hi, this is my first PC build and am super excited to build it, I just need some help on a few questions I have.
I am limited by the MSI Gungnir 110R case ( I can’t fit more than 240mm AIO at the top, or a 360mm at the front no room for tubes at the bottom)
  1. I’m looking to get a DeepCool LS-series AIO to cool an i7-13700KF, What would give the better temps? Mounting 360mm AIO at front with tubes at top or mounting a 240mm AIO at the top of the case tubes down?
  2. Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between the LS720, LS720SE and LT720?
  3. The manufacturer says the noise is 32.9db. How much noisier would a front mount tubes at top 360mm AIO be compared to what the manufacturer says.
Thank you for your help
CPU i7-13700KF Mobo MSI Z790 Tomahawk DDR5 GPU: maybe a 4070 when released PSU: 850W GigaByte AORUS Case: MSI Gungnir 110R

MSI Gungnir 110R is a good looking case and very good for air cooling.
I would avoid liquid cooling when a good air cooler will do the job.
Do you know that aio coolers do not last forever?
In time air intrudes or the mechanical pump fails or gets clogged.

It turns out that a 240 sized aio is somewhat comparable to a twin tower cooler.
As a plus, your motherboard and graphics card gets fresh air.
Top of the line would be a very quiet Noctua NH-D15s, or a good value is the termalright peerless assassin:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se
Read this article on cooling a 13900K using air and liquid:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
It only partially applies to the I7 processors, but you get the idea.

Consider spending $25 or so for the non KF version in order to get integrated graphics.
Very good insurance if you have gpu difficulties.

If budget is an issue, consider B660/B760 chipset motherboards as well as DDR4. Performance with ddr4 is similar.

Mar 8, 2023
MSI Gungnir 110R is a good looking case and very good for air cooling.
I would avoid liquid cooling when a good air cooler will do the job.
Do you know that aio coolers do not last forever?
In time air intrudes or the mechanical pump fails or gets clogged.

It turns out that a 240 sized aio is somewhat comparable to a twin tower cooler.
As a plus, your motherboard and graphics card gets fresh air.
Top of the line would be a very quiet Noctua NH-D15s, or a good value is the termalright peerless assassin:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se
Read this article on cooling a 13900K using air and liquid:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
It only partially applies to the I7 processors, but you get the idea.

Consider spending $25 or so for the non KF version in order to get integrated graphics.
Very good insurance if you have gpu difficulties.

If budget is an issue, consider B660/B760 chipset motherboards as well as DDR4. Performance with ddr4 is similar.

Would the Noctua NH-D15 be powerful enough allow for any overclocking?
I would be using CPU intensive tasks, i just don't want it to throttle.

Noctua maintains a list of suitable coolers.
Here is the list for the i7-13700KF:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-13700KF-1641
On overclocking, realize that processor chips are binned.
If your 13700KF chip were capable of significant overclocks, it would have been used as a I9-13900K or such.
Yes, you can overclock. You could get lucky.
But no longer do we get something for nothing.
Overclocking may be a good idea if your apps can fully load all 24 processing threads.
If, however your use is for cpu centric games, one or two threads become more important so using the default turbo mechanism can boost some cores past what an all core OC can do.
These new processors are so crazy fast that fiddling seems pointless.

The NH-D15 is as good as it gets for an air cooler, and it is very quiet if that matters to you.
The one caveat is that tall ram heat spreaders higher than 32mm will require the front fan to be raised a bit for clearance. 32mm is about how high low profile ram like Corsair lpx is,
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

As an alternative, the NH-D15s is a high compatibility version:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification

Mar 8, 2023
But without decreasing voltage would the CPU throttle with a NH-D15? my current CPU (i7-8700) hits 100% utilization a lot. Could the 13700K be able to reach 100% before throttling?

I would be running this in 4K btw

First of all, the 13700K is some 3x more capable so I doubt you could ever run full out.
Gaming at 4k will tend to be graphics limited, not cpu limited.

Still, Motherboard makers tune things to be able to run full out for best performance.
They push until the chip reaches the 100c. throttle point.
Not every core will reach that, and when it does, the multiplier is simply reduced a notch. This seems to be the new way of doing things.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am limited by the MSI Gungnir 110R case ( I can’t fit more than 240mm AIO at the top, or a 360mm at the front no room for tubes at the bottom)
  1. I’m looking to get a DeepCool LS-series AIO to cool an i7-13700KF, What would give the better temps? Mounting 360mm AIO at front with tubes at top or mounting a 240mm AIO at the top of the case tubes down?
  2. Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between the LS720, LS720SE and LT720?
  3. The manufacturer says the noise is 32.9db. How much noisier would a front mount tubes at top 360mm AIO be compared to what the manufacturer says.
Thank you for your help
CPU i7-13700KF Mobo MSI Z790 Tomahawk DDR5 GPU: maybe a 4070 when released PSU: 850W GigaByte AORUS Case: MSI Gungnir 110R
1A)Deepcool LS series does not appear to be as good on Intel as it was on AMD:
Granted, the test cpus from that review were a 3900X and 10900K.

1B)They'd both be subpar. Top exhaust 240mm are 'meh', and the design of the Gungnir 110R's front panel hurts any AIO/CLC installed in the front.
AIO + open mesh panel = optimal combo.
Also, the whole tubes thing:
-top radiator doesn't matter. The radiator is the top of the loop, that's where air will collect. So far, just the pump in radiator AIOs don't like top installations.
-2 factors with front radiator: time, and elevation. As long as the highest point of the rad is higher than the cpu block, it's good. 360mm and larger units are subject to noise if you own it for long enough, as the air volume slowly increases in the loop. The solution for that, 280/240mm units, as the tubing should be long enough to allow them to run along the bottom.

2)That requires someone to have tested all three on the same platform. So far, no one has done that yet.

3)32.9dBA... from how far away? Open test bed, or a case? These are important details that usually aren't shared. You also have the freedom to set your own curves.
That number is useless without some context.