setter43

Prominent
Jun 6, 2020
Hello there,

I have some basic PC knowledge from a previous build. But when it comes down to GPU's I often find I mistakenly overlook factors/performance here and there.

My current build was a few new pieces and parts salvaged from my previous tower. Here is my Current Build more or less.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bYYV9G

I will look to upgrade the monitor as well.

I used my PC for my Computer Science (CS) Degree and a lot of gaming. I don't play a lot of the latest biggest titles. Mostly Rainbow Six Siege, Tarkov etc. It only got me thinking about upgrading after I started my hobby of Game Dev using Unity, Unreal and 3Ds Max / Blender. Due to multiple lockdowns and recently graduating I have found myself playing other titles such as Days Gone and Death stranding, which are very demanding on my current GPU GTX 1060 6GB. I am now in a position where I can upgrade and thinking about whether it is worth it. If I play a high detailed game (Days Gone) or work in UE4 on big projects, I will max out my GPU to 100%. Is now the time to upgrade if possible?

I have some money saved up from working part-time, I've been looking at the 3080's but can't tell which would be the GPU for me. Not only to let me play these latest games but also to continue working on my hobby of Game Dev.

This is what I find myself looking at

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/3080/xx-criteria.html

I opted for the 3 fan addition since my current GPU runs at 68-74 celsius when playingDays Gone and over 6GB since that is what my current GPU offers.

My thoughts.
I can't tell what would be right for me in my situation. Is this overkill or future-proofing? Is now the time to upgrade?
The last time I looked at GPU's, it was all about which brand, series and how much memory it had behind it. Now there is all this about RTX and Cuda Cores and so much more.
Is the 3080 right for me?
I have little interest in VR. But I would be interested in taking my Game Dev further to publishing small projects and maybe look to start streaming.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Solution
A 3080 is overkill for the 1080p 60hz monitor you have.

You'd be better off buying a decent Gsync compatible 1440p monitor @ 144hz + and buying a slightly cheaper GPU like the 3070ti as you'll actually make use of the GPU and be able to improve not only your FPS in game but visual quality as well. GPU prices are really still too high and you'll pay through the teeth for a 3080 right now...not that a 3070ti is actually priced where it should be either.
3080 will take you through triple A titles at 2k resolutions for the next couple years. Maybe even 4k depending on how intense the games end up getting. If you want a reference point, my signature has a 'future proofed' build IMO, atleast until 5000 series cards. Unless something wild happens between now and then.

Hello there,

I have some basic PC knowledge from a previous build. But when it comes down to GPU's I often find I mistakenly overlook factors/performance here and there.

My current build was a few new pieces and parts salvaged from my previous tower. Here is my Current Build more or less.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bYYV9G

I used my PC for my Computer Science (CS) Degree and a lot of gaming. I don't play a lot of the latest biggest titles. Mostly Rainbow Six Siege, Tarkov etc. It only got me thinking about upgrading after I started my hobby of Game Dev using Unity, Unreal and 3Ds Max / Blender. Due to multiple lockdowns and recently graduating I have found myself playing other titles such as Days Gone and Death stranding, which are very demanding on my current GPU GTX 1060 6GB. I am now in a position where I can upgrade and thinking about whether it is worth it. If I play a high detailed game (Days Gone) or work in UE4 on big projects, I will max out my GPU to 100%. Is now the time to upgrade if possible?

I have some money saved up from working part-time, I've been looking at the 3080's but can't tell which would be the GPU for me. Not only to let me play these latest games but also to continue working on my hobby of Game Dev.

This is what I find myself looking at

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/3080/xx-criteria.html

I opted for the 3 fan addition since my current GPU runs at 68-74 celsius when playingDays Gone and over 6GB since that is what my current GPU offers.

My thoughts.
I can't tell what would be right for me in my situation. Is this overkill or future-proofing? Is now the time to upgrade?
The last time I looked at GPU's, it was all about which brand, series and how much memory it had behind it. Now there is all this about RTX and Cuda Cores and so much more.
I have little interest in VR. But I would be interested in taking my Game Dev further to publishing small projects and maybe look to start streaming.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Have a nice day!
Assuming your seeing greater than 60fps when gaming try limiting the fps to something close to 60 and see if the gpu usage goes down.

jasonf2

Distinguished
As a general point you really need to separate fidelity from framerate. Your CPU will define the max frame rate for your system while the GPU will give you fidelity. A good way to find out your max frame rate for any given game is simply to turn it to the minimum settings and see what the FPS are. Your CPU is pretty decent but if you buy a better graphics card you will still deal with this bottleneck and at low settings you really won't see much difference. What a great GPU will do for you is allow you to have higher fidelity settings (like ultra) at numbers closer to your max frame rate.

Right now there is a major chip shortage and GPUs are in short supply. This has driven the price through the roof and made availably almost non existent at MSRP. So when you ask if a 3080 is right for you the answer is that the 3080 is a fantastic card that you will probably have to spend between $1800 and $2000 USD to actually purchase even though msrp is $700. I simply won't pay scalper prices so even though it is a wonderful card I cannot suggest that anyone buys one unless they find it at MSRP. May the odds be ever in you favor.....

Future proofing is impossible in GPUs, so get what you want now. As a game dev you understand how API's evolve and the cards have to certify to the API. So even if you purchase a Titan or 3090 it will be grossly outdated in 3-5 years as directx / vulcan move on. TFlops may still be on par with mainstream by that time but AAA titles will be using a newer version of the APIs so you still won't hold fidelity.

the parts are just not worth buying
11400f
whatever motherboard is cheapest tbh
16Gb of ddr4 3733
1 tb ssd whichever you prefer
are you really wanting to game at 1080p 60 hz?
rtx 3700 will do that for the next 4 years no problem
season 550 watt would be fine
I feel like this is gonna be cheaper and more effective

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I understand that's the parts they already have.

And no, "whatever motherboard is cheapest" is not too good an idea once you go off-brand.

You may want to wait until the current supply shock resolves. Right now you'd still be paying 3x MSRP - You could get a not-much-less powerful and entirely new laptop for that price.

A 3080 is overkill for the 1080p 60hz monitor you have.

You'd be better off buying a decent Gsync compatible 1440p monitor @ 144hz + and buying a slightly cheaper GPU like the 3070ti as you'll actually make use of the GPU and be able to improve not only your FPS in game but visual quality as well. GPU prices are really still too high and you'll pay through the teeth for a 3080 right now...not that a 3070ti is actually priced where it should be either.

Reactions: setter43
Solution