Question I'm a newblet considering messing with my wireless network

Viorala

Prominent
May 20, 2019
I've completely forgotten everything I ever knew about networking.

First off, there are two pcs in the house and two mobile phones. I have two routers, one is wireless and one is...from the cable co; we have two networks showing up in the neighborhood. One pc connects to LAN, because it's more convenient. The other pc and our phones connect to the wireless network. We're seeing messages saying the wireless network is old and no longer secure, and it has a question mark instead of a lock. I just bought a Z490 motherboard and it came with a wifi 5 ability and a cute little antenna.

Rather than buy a new wifi router, can I:

- Use the LAN pc as a sort of server for the other pc, with this cute little antenna? (Is this making an access point?) So the network for PC 2 would be LAN-->PC 2-->Internet.

- Use this cable modem/router someway? Would that just mean switching PC2 to the second of our networks showing up in the neighborhood?

Anything else? I mean I can buy a new wifi router but it seems like overkill even though I have no idea what I'm talking about.

kanewolf

Titan
I've completely forgotten everything I ever knew about networking.

First off, there are two pcs in the house and two mobile phones. I have two routers, one is wireless and one is...from the cable co; we have two networks showing up in the neighborhood. One pc connects to LAN, because it's more convenient. The other pc and our phones connect to the wireless network. We're seeing messages saying the wireless network is old and no longer secure, and it has a question mark instead of a lock. I just bought a Z490 motherboard and it came with a wifi 5 ability and a cute little antenna.

Rather than buy a new wifi router, can I:

- Use the LAN pc as a sort of server for the other pc, with this cute little antenna? (Is this making an access point?) So the network for PC 2 would be LAN-->PC 2-->Internet.

- Use this cable modem/router someway? Would that just mean switching PC2 to the second of our networks showing up in the neighborhood?

Anything else? I mean I can buy a new wifi router but it seems like overkill even though I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Using a PC as a WIFI access point 24x7 is a very inefficient implementation.
What about when it reboots because of a windows update and all the wireless devices lose connectivity ??

What are the make and model of the network hardware you have ?

Viorala

Prominent
May 20, 2019
The modem from the cable company is an Arris. It's quite a few years old. Looking up the serial number didn't work to get its model.

The wireless router is a Netgear RangeMAX Duo Wireless-N WNDR3300.

Thanks for responding.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS