[SOLVED] I'm about to install windows 10, some questions

Jul 5, 2020
I'm currently running windows 8.1 and I've decided to upgrade to windows 10 but I have to do it from the usb drive, so I bought a 16 GB usb stick to do the job. I have 2 hard drives, C: is an ssd which I use for the OS, antivirus and the drivers, then I have an hdd for everything else. Should I format the ssd before trying to install the OS from the usb stick or does it do it automatically when it boots up? I was also thinking about removing the hdd just in case the OS gets installed in the wrong drive but it might mess up some installations that I have in it like games and other softwares. This is the first time I install an OS so I'm not sure how it works, I've seen some tutorials but they're mainly for first installations and I already have a system. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
You NEED to disconnect any and all drives other than the one you want Windows on.

For a full wipe and then installation of Win 10, this:

USAFRet

Titan
You NEED to disconnect any and all drives other than the one you want Windows on.

Reactions: GucciTofu
Solution
Jul 5, 2020

Thank you, I'll read it right now.

"then I have an hdd for everything else "

By "everything else", what do you mean, specifically?
I have steam installed in it and some games, also documents, photos and videos.

USAFRet

Titan
For the new OS, you'll need to reinstall the Steam client. It won't work in its current location.

Then, you can tell this new Steam client where the games are on the old drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Jul 5, 2020
For the new OS, you'll need to reinstall the Steam client. It won't work in its current location.

Then, you can tell this new Steam client where the games are on the old drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
I forgot I also have other programs like battle.net and origins but I can uninstall those and then reinstall later because the games are not that big, but steam games I'd prefer to not download again because they're huge. Tell me if I got it right, I uninstall steam but I keep the game files and then when I reinstall steam I move the old folder and merge it with the new one?

USAFRet

Titan
I forgot I also have other programs like battle.net and origins but I can uninstall those and then reinstall later because the games are not that big, but steam games I'd prefer to not download again because they're huge. Tell me if I got it right, I uninstall steam but I keep the game files and then when I reinstall steam I move the old folder and merge it with the new one?
You can leave the Steam games where they are on the old drive. You can have multiple game locations, one on each drive.
After the new OS and new Steam client, just tell the new Steam client where they are. No need to move or download them.

Reactions: GucciTofu