I'm about to take a laptop, i need both ubuntu and windows 8, model already has ubuntu, so how can i install windows, so that

somprakash

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I'm about to take a laptop, i need both ubuntu and windows 8, model already has ubuntu, so how can i install windows, so that both run properly, i'm new in this, and also is there any chances that ubuntu may crash while installing windows.....

partyboy690

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Installing Windows after Linux is more difficult than the other way around, especially for an inexperienced user, the simplified order of events is for you to partition the disk to make room for Windows but making sure you partition the disk as NTFS, this can be all done in GParted which comes with Ubuntu(I think, if not then run "sudo apt-get install gparted" from the command line) when you're installing Windows you then use the free partition you created and it will install but it will over write your mbr and remove grub which is the Linux bootloader. You then need boot into a Linux live cd(any cd that supports live booting, would recommend Ubuntu as you're probably familiar with that) then repair grup which is a few commands and when you boot up again you'll have the same boot menu.

The easier option is to boot into a Linux live cd and reformat the disk to NTFS and install Windows and then Ubuntu, would be much easier for a new user. But this assumes that you're ok with reinstalling Ubuntu, that it doesn't have configuration or data you need. Depends on your scenario I guess.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
You wouldnt be installing Windows from inside ubuntu, you would do it by booting from the Windows disc and installing from there (like how you would boot from a Linux Live disc). That would involve changing the boot order in BIOS so that you are booting from the installation media (optical, usb, etc.)