I'm building a gaming computer and I want to know I I should get the 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 16gb ram or the 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 16gb

Yolomaster2

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I'm building a gaming computer and I want to know I I should get the 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 16gb ram or the 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 16gb ram they are both Kingston hyperx fury which people told me was one of the best and if you know anything better than hyperx fury please tell me

Solution
1. Always install memory sticks from one memory kit. They are matched together.

2. Always make sure that the chosen memory's is indeed supported by the motherboard and its processor.
Different types of memory's, different frequencies, timings etc. the memory stick with the lowest speed will always set the speed for the rest of them.

3. Very important that the voltage of the memory are supported by the processor; meaning that a memory stick with to much voltage let say 1.7V when the processor spec. clearly says 1.5V - will damage and shorten the processors life span.

4. Make sure that the height of the memyry modules can fit under the CPU-cooler (if it is not original).

For DDR3 memory: 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%
For DDR3L memory...

ShibbyShabby

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Hey I need to upgrade my RAM, Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65

Need 16GB, found these: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit.

What do you think of these?Also could you offer alternatives?

Finally will 2400Mhz work with my MOBO? Would really appreciate the help, Thanks.

1. Always install memory sticks from one memory kit. They are matched together.

2. Always make sure that the chosen memory's is indeed supported by the motherboard and its processor.
Different types of memory's, different frequencies, timings etc. the memory stick with the lowest speed will always set the speed for the rest of them.

3. Very important that the voltage of the memory are supported by the processor; meaning that a memory stick with to much voltage let say 1.7V when the processor spec. clearly says 1.5V - will damage and shorten the processors life span.

4. Make sure that the height of the memyry modules can fit under the CPU-cooler (if it is not original).

For DDR3 memory: 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%
For DDR3L memory: 1.35 volts, plus or minus 5%
For DDR4 memory: 1.2 volts, plus or minus 5%

Use a memory configurator such as Corsair http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder
Kingston http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/options
G-Skill http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator
Etc.
Best regards from Sweden

Solution

ShibbyShabby

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Yes, Ive got the 4670k, Im looking to buy it, hopefully it works, You're sure it'll work right?

ShibbyShabby

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Thing is I'm not comfortable with over clocking, so instead should I look for a lower ram clock speed, if you could maybe give me a number ?

If You go for 2133MHz memory's then to be able to have them at that speed, You must activate the inbuilt Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)
in the Bios Setup, otherwise they will only run at 1600MHz..
look into your motherboard manual how activate memory XMP

Another important thing to remember: activating the Intel XMP will slightly overclock the CPU as per automatic.

I'm running similar memory's myself:
Motherboard: Asus Z97 Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @4.6GHz
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz Cl11 G-Skill
Monitor: 2x BenQ 24" 1920x1080
Graphic: ASUS Radeon R9 290 4GB
C: SSD: Intel 520 180GB for Windows and some essential s/w
D: SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB for all other s/w including games etc.
H: HDD: WD Velociraptor 10 000 rpm 450GB
F: HDD: WD Black Caviar 2TB
E: HDD Samsung 1TB for other things
G: HDD: Seagate 3TB for backup mainly.

Best regards from Sweden